Frost over what now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all
So the 15th of may was the last "official" frost,
What to do now, it rained all week and looks like more of the same next week. Online it says don't plant is wet soil and this has been the coldest wettest may in 30 years apparently. I need to get my plants in the ground before they get root bound. We even had hail here twice last week in munich. What should i do
Flag Quote Like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to plant out runners today, they love it wet. I save the big plastic bottles we buy sparkling water in and take the bottoms off them, the little gem lettuces I planted under them at the beginning of the week are looking fine. I take the lid off and put a split bamboo through and into the ground, seems to have held in all that wind. The iceberg lettuce that went in under a cloche a couple of weeks ago are starting to look really good.
There was someone on the TV the other day who had drilled holes in a piece of corrugated plastic and threaded a U shaped stiff wire through them, it made a good, cheap, open ended cloche. He left the end of the wire long to peg it down.
Most things do well if you give them just a bit of protection for a short time while they get established, just a sheet of old glass stuck in the ground with bamboos each side to stop it falling over is often enough. I have a collection of old net curtains I can throw over things for short term protection from something like a very late frost or a hail storm, but on the whole outside is where plants live naturally. Once they get over the move they are fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Weather looks to be brightening up from Thursday, so that will be my plant out day. Greenhouse is full and everything needs to go out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Weather looks to be brightening up from Thursday, so that will be my plant out day. Greenhouse is full and everything needs to go out.
know what you mean everyone saying repot, the question is to where :LOL: no space anywhere lolol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
In Ontario, Canada. I got most plants in the ground. Expect no more frost. Need rain badly. Have a rabbit that is munching. Have installed some chicken wire mesh fence. Such is life.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd get them in the ground if the wind has dropped. Make sure you harden anything off that might need it first :)

Been an awful spring so far.

Ask a Question