last frost date.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
according to the internet the last frost for my city is 21st april to 30 april.... is it wise to take a chance before that date or would people wait, i know am impatient... i cannot wait :X3: to get planting...:)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
No, it isn't wise except in rare cases. You didn't say what you are planting but seeds and many types of plants just do not do well in cold soil. It doesn't have to be freezing to damage and/or stunt them. Better to wait.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As @Meadowlark alluded to above frost is only one factor. The other very important factor is soil temperature and this applies to both seed starting and setting out transplants. Perhaps the following link will be of help. Most transplants do best in soil temps of 65F and over. If planted in too cold of a soil it really slows or stop growth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will wait.. its is young plants which i have bought i can keep indoors, i have about 6 i wont buy any more then.. i think i may need a greenhouse... thanks for replies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:happy: Now you`re talking Jacqui. Get a greenhouse in there pronto!! That will keep you busy and out of mischief until planting time. If you have a handyman available who can do things with wood, that`s the best sort in my opinion. You could even make a lean to one on the side of a shed. Use some tunnel polythene, you can get it easily on line, and fix the poly on with roofing battens.
Once you`re fixed up with that you won`t look back.
You can always pot on the plants you bought - just for something to do (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
oh i will be definitely looking into i cannot go
on like this i have a house full of plants :) its been a tough time an garden give me peace hence the rush to get going.. thank you..(y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have odd bits of glass and bubble plastic from packing that I put down for a bit to warm the ground before I plant out. The other thing I do is sow more seed than I need and put some out early. If the spring turns out warm and nice they grow and I give away the extras, if not I replace them later with the ones I have kept back. Seed merchants just about always give you more than you need, and although some will keep well for years fresh is often better, and they are not that dear.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Think about cole crops, early peas and the use of row covers to warm the soil.

Here is a site for you to contemplate Early spring planting

My motto has always been if the weeds are growing I can be planting, transplanting and playing in the garden.

Ask a Question