Forum Upgrade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
My wow was short lived. Sorry if I confused anyone. The ratings emojis on Gardeners Corner forum, where Zigs led me, are more interaction friendly and that's why I suggested it here. They really give you the opportunity to like but with clarification as to why :)

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
a little OT for this thread, but who do I talk to about changing my forum name? I am no longer an mgguy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I like the new format. I wonder if the page buttons could be duplicated at the top of the page in addition to the bottom?

There are page numbers top and bottom by default, but when you're viewing the site on a small screen they disappear from the top. I'll check with Ian to see if there's a way we can keep them, but you might find that they reappear if you turn the screen landscape (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There are page numbers top and bottom by default, but when you're viewing the site on a small screen they disappear from the top. I'll check with Ian to see if there's a way we can keep them, but you might find that they reappear if you turn the screen landscape (y)
I have something, but it changes I think, on this one it says jump to new and unwatch. But on a volume thread where you missed some days or a multithread where subjects are flying like witches on all hallows eve it is challengey. I would not mind a next button on bottom and pages on top because no scrolling and scrolling.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll see what I can do @DirtMechanic - I'm still making lots of tweaks here and there :).

edit: Got an idea on this, I'll get the code added this week.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a question about the "Watched threads" feature in the banner. Before, it gave me the option to see "watched threads with unread answers," or "all watched threads." As I haven't visited the forum for a while, I am curious to catch up on what I have missed, (Hi everybody!! :D) but now it seems to list all my watched threads without knowing what's new.

Is there a way to know what's what? o_O

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey @MaryMary, great to see you again :D. What I think you may be after is the "filter" tool. If you click on the "What's new" button, it'll show you all of the new/unread posts. Then, you can click the "filter" link (top right, just above the thin green line) and select "watched content" and "unread threads" at the same time. It's a handy way of viewing whatever combos you want :).

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It works perfectly, Ian!! :D (y) Now we've got that handled, I have more questions. (This thread is just begging for more questions!!) It's kind of like test-driving a car, I want to open this thing up and see what she'll do! :ROFLMAO:

At the top right of each person's post, (between the "share this" icon and the post#,) I notice there is a bookmark icon. Does this enable me to have bookmarks within the forum? So if I find a person's answer particularly helpful, and I want to refer to it later, I click that bookmark... and then what? Will a new icon appear in the banner to take me to my list of bookmarks? Would I have a bookmark page on my profile page? What is that, and what does it do?? :woot: :nailbiting: (I might have to poke that with a stick before you get back to me, but your answer will explain it better, and might be useful for others.)

I wrote that ^^ two days ago, then was out of time and had to go to work. I had already experimented with the icons at the top of the reply box, and I found the "drafts" icon, so I clicked "save draft." I meant to reply yesterday, but got called in early, and had no time. Today, I looked for my draft, and it's gone. :( Is there a way to extend that? (The previous software would save a draft for about a week, if memory serves.)

When I am on my desktop computer, I can hover the cursor over a person's flag and it'll pop up to tell me what country that flag is. I tried tapping it on my tablet and it just ignores me. Is there a way to make that work? (I might be getting a smart phone this year, does it work for them?)

Ok, that's enough for now. (There will be more, but I don't want to overload you... and I want to run around the forum and talk to people. :giggle:)

Did you get our Christmas card or was the postman naughty @MaryMary :giggle:

Yes, @zigs, I did get it, and thank you! It gave me a happy when I really needed one! :love: :cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It works perfectly, Ian!! :D(y) Now we've got that handled, I have more questions. (This thread is just begging for more questions!!) It's kind of like test-driving a car, I want to open this thing up and see what she'll do! :ROFLMAO:

Glad you like it! Hahaha, the more questions the merrier :D

At the top right of each person's post, (between the "share this" icon and the post#,) I notice there is a bookmark icon. Does this enable me to have bookmarks within the forum? So if I find a person's answer particularly helpful, and I want to refer to it later, I click that bookmark... and then what? Will a new icon appear in the banner to take me to my list of bookmarks? Would I have a bookmark page on my profile page? What is that, and what does it do?? :woot::nailbiting: (I might have to poke that with a stick before you get back to me, but your answer will explain it better, and might be useful for others.)

Yep, that's exactly what it does. You can bookmark a post using that icon, then if you go to your user menu (the one with your avatar at the top of the page), you'll see a tab called "bookmarks" at the top of the drop down menu. All of your bookmarked posts should be there :). I really like this new feature.

I wrote that ^^ two days ago, then was out of time and had to go to work. I had already experimented with the icons at the top of the reply box, and I found the "drafts" icon, so I clicked "save draft." I meant to reply yesterday, but got called in early, and had no time. Today, I looked for my draft, and it's gone. :( Is there a way to extend that? (The previous software would save a draft for about a week, if memory serves.)

Sorry about that, I've increased this limit to 1 week now :).

When I am on my desktop computer, I can hover the cursor over a person's flag and it'll pop up to tell me what country that flag is. I tried tapping it on my tablet and it just ignores me. Is there a way to make that work? (I might be getting a smart phone this year, does it work for them?)

I don't think I can fix that unfortunately, as I've been trying to get that working already - there are a few things I'd like to add to the flag code, but it's quite complicated to get what I want it to do without re-writing too much code. I do keep coming back to it every time I make changes to see if I can fix things though, and this is on the big "fix" list ;).

Ask a Question