First time growing radishes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
My question is: how do you know when they're ready? I know they're supposed to be ready in 28 days approximately, but mine have been in the ground for at least two months. We've had freezing temperatures for several weeks, and everything stopped growing, but I thought they'd be ready by now. I pulled one of my biggest long black Spanish radishes yesterday and it didn't look close to ready so I put it back in the ground:
001.JPG

Today, I pulled one of the French Breakfast radishes. My only question for these is: are they supposed to be bigger? It tasted great, but I don't know if I should give them more time to grow bigger or they're supposed to be tiny.

002.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I grew round type of radishes last summer and the leaves were as big as a smart phone and yet the root was not as large as the package claimed.

I looked up the description on Vesey's seeds for yours and they said "3-4" oblong roots".

I suppose the best test would be to see if it tastes okay at that size?

I

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Those little round ones that say 28 days I usually leave for 5 or 6 weeks. The long black spanish ones I let go for 3 or 4 months. Sometimes they're a little funky looking (growing sort of sideways and knotty) but it still tastes ok. They're all sliced or chopped up anyway I'm assuming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks, deepestblues. I haven't had one that was big enough to slice yet, but I want to try to pickle the big ones and yes, I'll slice them :)

Ask a Question