Fig tree slacking off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I recently (early July) pinched the growing buds on my Brown Turkey fig tree which is abt 1.5 yrs old to spur growth sideways. It was growing quite well before but the growth has now shrunk quite a bit. I do see the new buds and figs growing behind the pinched ends but they are growing soooo slowly. Is that expected ?

Also, I thought the existing figs that are medium sized would start growing to full size and start ripening. Thats not happening either. What am I missing ?

Thanks,
Norm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Think you need to give your fig a good feed Norm, Have you any well composted I organic matter or horse manure, apply a 2-3 inch deep mulch around the plant and water thoroughly and regularly, also a good sprinkle of slow release fertiliser might be beneficial too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My figs are ripening exactly ONE at a time lol
Of the 25 odd figs right now one grows real big and ripens, then another takes off, funny to watch, nicely queued and all. The ones that decide to take off arent even on the same branch or anything.

Ask a Question