Fig tree problems in Raleigh, NC area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello,
I have several varieties of fig trees: Chicago, Brown Turkey, Mission. "Chicago" is even can survive zone 6, while I am in 7. Looks like they all survive a winter, because in a spring I do see the tiny green bulbs, like it's about to get the leaves out. But something happens, it dies and starts growing from the bottom.
What happens? I do see that some people have fig trees and they don't die. I asked what kind of variety is that and they didn't know, since they've bought a house with it.
And recommendations, which one will grow?
Thank you!

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am in zone 8b. We have LSU, Brown Turkey, Celeste and Chicago Hardy. They all do just fine. Have you checked the pH of your soil? They like a pH of 6.0 to 6.5. That can be fixed with amendments. Are they in full sun? I would really go to my local extension office and ask them for the best varieties to grow locally. They are a free service and happy to help. If you don't know where your local extension office is just search for "county extension agent, my location". You may even want to take in a soil sample and a sample of the leaves when they are dying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am in zone 8b. We have LSU, Brown Turkey, Celeste and Chicago Hardy. They all do just fine. Have you checked the pH of your soil? They like a pH of 6.0 to 6.5. That can be fixed with amendments. Are they in full sun? I would really go to my local extension office and ask them for the best varieties to grow locally. They are a free service and happy to help. If you don't know where your local extension office is just search for "county extension agent, my location". You may even want to take in a soil sample and a sample of the leaves when they are dying.
Thank you!
What type of "extension office" is it? Is it related to agriculture? I've searched and get university extensions, which are related to education in my local universities. I believe it's not that.
Yes, they are in a full sun. Since they grow very fast from the roots, after the upper part died, I think it's not a pH issue, but I asked people in my local Southern States store, which is specializing in farming, told me that we have an acidic soil.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you, Mark_4444!! :) I had a vague understanding of what the county extension office does, and now I know!! (y)

Here is a basic explanation, with more to read at the site.

The Cooperative Extension System is a nationwide educational network that is a collaboration of federal, state and local governments and a state land-grant university (A land-grant university means, among other things, that they research and teach practical agriculture). https://www.thespruce.com/the-cooperative-extension-system-1402430

And here is a link to a few near you!

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...rative+extension&fr2=sa-gp-&fr=yfp-hrtab&fp=1

Hope that helps, welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry, I know nothing about fig trees. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you!
What type of "extension office" is it? Is it related to agriculture? I've searched and get university extensions, which are related to education in my local universities. I believe it's not that.
Yes, they are in a full sun. Since they grow very fast from the roots, after the upper part died, I think it's not a pH issue, but I asked people in my local Southern States store, which is specializing in farming, told me that we have an acidic soil.
Sorry I wasn't clear on the extension office. But, I see that you have already received an answer. You may be able to take them some pictures. That would definitely help them. My neighbor told me that our local agent will come out if they can't figure it out from what you can show them. I don't know if they will all do this, but it never hurts to ask.

Ask a Question