Fence Styles

Reaction score
Country
United States

Is there a name for that style of fence? Note that neither the vertical posts nor the horizontal pieces are typical rounded wood. It's more 'rough cut' wood. I've been thinking about a fence of this style for a while now, it would make a great looking divider between my front lawn and my neighbors front lawn methinks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:) 'Post' seems like it is probably fairly universal, but 'Rail' seems like old fashioned UK English in that context, I would suppose the first railways used rails similar to that, but that might not count for much to an American, or Australian for that matter, wonder what you Aussies call it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Middle English: from Old French reille ‘iron rod’, from Latin regula ‘straight stick, rule’.

Oxford dictionary definition!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
:) 'Post' seems like it is probably fairly universal, but 'Rail' seems like old fashioned UK English in that context, I would suppose the first railways used rails similar to that, but that might not count for much to an American, or Australian for that matter, wonder what you Aussies call it?
The same - post and rail. Historically those rail-to-post junctions might give it a slightly slang term, but I can't recall it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is called a split rail. The split is the taper where two rails can be slotted into the same hole for superior support as well as the all important ease of assembly and guaranteed maintenance down the road. 10 ft rails is the older design, now they tend to be 8 ft.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes true, but that is almost science, not slang. It will take a while to remember, but I think there is another term.

Ask a Question