Female pumpkin flower problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I had to throw it out. Don't worry, I have a bunch more which will be fine with my new fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ok. Last question!

I tried the watering from the bottom method, but the water doesn't go to the top. I don't think it's a good method as the container is pretty big, and I would disturb the main stem each time I try to lift it up. Also, I don't really have any tub.

Is there another method I can use to successfully water a pumpkin? How would I normally water it if it was planted in the ground?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok. Last question!

I tried the watering from the bottom method, but the water doesn't go to the top. I don't think it's a good method as the container is pretty big, and I would disturb the main stem each time I try to lift it up. Also, I don't really have any tub.

Is there another method I can use to successfully water a pumpkin? How would I normally water it if it was planted in the ground?
When you water from the bottom up it literally sucks the water up. It takes a while but I can see how a large saturated container would be too much to lift. When you water a large container water very slowly to ensure that the water doesn't just run down the inside of the container wall and out of the bottom

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. Last question!

These are brilliant for tomatoes, cukes, pumpkins, aubergines; fill & fit a 2 litre drinks bottle, plunge it neck deep, (deeper than in the photo) and let it slowly seep in.
You can make and filter a liquid feed and use that too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Meuwe...866159?hash=item568283d86f:g:59YAAOSwG-1WxawB

8822172712990.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you!

I have an update: the pumpkins I transplanted went into shock. The leaves were crunchy and with one squeeze, the leaves would disintegrate. I threw the pumpkins out, and planted new seeds. The reason I threw them out was because they were done for. Anyways, I was just test growing them. This is actually the furthest I've got with them. I've only got the a few inches tall and then killed them by overwatering. Even though I threw them out, I still actually grew male flowers, and actually kept them alive.

@headfullofbees, I just made the drip irrigation out of the bottle and it worked. I'll use it from now on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just to make sure you don't go back to the Bayer stuff: The word "systemic" and "protects" led me to believe that it probably included an insecticide. A quick Google tells me:

"Bayer Advanced 2-In-1 Systemic Rose & Flower Care is not for use on or around edible plants, herbs, vegetables, or fruit and nut trees."

Please don't poison yourself. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you so much! I had no idea it was poisonous. Does that mean that the pomegranate tree I used it on isn't edible anymore??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you so much! I had no idea it was poisonous. Does that mean that the pomegranate tree I used it on isn't edible anymore??
I wouldn't eat any pomegranats that are on the tree now but this stuff doesn't last all that long. Your tree will be OK. Throw the stuff away, its dangerous

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
The tree doesn't have any pomegranates. It never fruited before. Hopefully we get some next year. This is the first year it has been doing well since I started gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Also, I won't throw it out because we actually have some roses that we use it on (that was the reason we bought it.) I just won't use it on my edible plants. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
What do you classify as a container? We have this whole entrance thing with a bunch of different plants. It isn't on the natrual ground, but it's larger than any container. It's like a raised bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What do you classify as a container? We have this whole entrance thing with a bunch of different plants. It isn't on the natrual ground, but it's larger than any container. It's like a raised bed.
A container is anything that isn't in the ground. All it says is to not use the product in containers so I don't know what the size limit would be nor even what difference it would make whether it was in a container or not. The only reason I can think of is that it is very toxic to fish and using the stuff in a container would allow the stuff to infect the ground water as it leached through. Just a guess.

Ask a Question