Fellow plant enthusiasts, I ask you...

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is this something you would consider, or try for yourself?

I once had friend with a double sink, very much like the one pictured, except much older. The walls were painted white, and the room got a lot of light from the large window to the left. ;) (Who already knows where I'm going with this?) :whistle:

th

The sink on the right was broken, and she was not going to have it fixed. She didn't mind only having one sink working.

She had no intentions of ever selling the house.

Based on the hypothetical -
you have a broken sink you are not getting fixed, in a well lit, humid room. You are planning to die in your house, so you'll never have to worry about selling costs.

Would you plant flowers in the broken sink
*?

* Of course, this is after rearranging the plumbing to provide drainage without causing more problems.

My friend voted "No." (n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I vote "no" for the reason that i don't have plants anywhere in my house...not one. There is really no reason for me to have house plants because it is toasty year around where i live, so although i am a plant enthusiast, i am not an indoor plant enthusiast.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I would consider it, but I'd have the plants each in their own pot, so if one wasn't happy, it could be easily removed.
I'd also put a mesh over the drain opening, so any dirt that escaped the pots wouldn't dam up the plumbing.
Your friend may plan to die in her home, but life has a way of changing our plans. I'd get the sink fixed, put plants in it if I wanted to, and hope things worked out the way I wanted.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I personally wouldn't do it, just because I don't see a reason to. I, like @Beverly, am not a fan of indoor plants, but even I were, I wouldn't put them in a sink. That doesn't mean it's wrong or right, but just something that I personally would never do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Cute idea and I like houseplants but I wouldn't use the sink as a planter either...I'd maybe do as @marlingardener suggests and but potted plants in there but maybe that would look strange.

How about making it into a goldfish bowl? :LOL:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There's enough things growing in my sink without adding to them :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Oh, well, you should be able to grow lots of things in the bath, some exotic fungi and so much more. If you ever get the urge to clean baths, sinks, etc., full strength or slightly diluted apple cider vinegar works very well. Just put it in a spray bottle, works wonders:) Really good for eco-minded folks who hate to clean but sometimes feel the need to:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nope, can't say that I would. I can't stand it when things are broken in my house and so it would bug me until it was fixed. Creative idea though.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How about making it into a goldfish bowl? :LOL:

:ROFLMAO: @Beth_B, if there were two sinks that looked like this, that's probably where I would've gone with it! (y)

th

When I went looking for those glass sinks, I found a bonus ! Since it is "hypothetical sink-related" I thought I'd add it to the thread.

790732a5750d5b6ea3aa869a635ff2f5.jpg

I wouldn't want it, it's not really practical. I wouldn't want to set anything on the counter. I also think I would obsessively clean water and soap spots off of it. :cautious:

It's just nice to know that it exists. :love:

Nope, can't say that I would. I can't stand it when things are broken in my house and so it would bug me until it was fixed. Creative idea though.
:p Please don't fight the hypothetical. ;) :)

There's enough things growing in my sink without adding to them :D
o_O Maybe you should just shave the stuff and have done with it. :ROFLMAO:

@Larisa, nicely done! :D Myself, I'd go for one of the varieties of dracaena plants, with something short and flowering as filler. Or maybe orchids.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Well, if, hypothetically ... little adventure ... like Chlorophytum plant or fern ...
View attachment 15847
Ultimately, it is always possible to remove.
Yep, done this way you wouldn't even know there was a basin underneath. could wok....hypothetically :). Probably does seem a shame to waste the good lighting

Ask a Question