Fave songs from way back when!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't really from Way Back When.

In fact it's a new record I bought from America, but it sounds very sixties which arrived a couple of days ago.

P1040266.JPG

It wasn't expensive only about a fiver, but the postage was three times that!

My camera memory card ran out before the end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
As well as all the classic Motown and similar recordings I like, some of which are in one of my jukeboxes, there's several US girl groups of the sixties I like, amongst a great number that came and went. Few had much chart success, as many of their recordings are of songs of little value. This group made few recordings and only this song made any impression on the charts, it got #13 on the US R&B chart in 1966. Maybe because it was written by Curtis Mayfield.
I quite like this one, so I bought a good copy on eBay as it was cheap and it's quite catchy. It's also popular with Northern Soul fans, as are many other lesser know recordings as it's very "danceable." Those days for me are long gone, not that I was ever into the Northern Soul cult.

"The Fascinations."

.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here's another record I've just ordered, a mint copy.

This is by another little known 60s girl group called "The Cookies."

It amuses me that many of the songs of that era, with the lyrics written by men, were sometimes rather disrespectful to women, In Smokey Robinson's "Ooo Baby Baby," there's a line,
"I did you wrong, my heart went out to play." As an excuse for infidelity.

In this record, it has a line, demonstrating that she should be considered suitable as a girl friend, as she is old enough. "I'm everything a girl should be now "36", 21", 35."
Suprisingly, it's a Carole King song, but I imagine Gerry Goffin wrote the lyrics.
But as a tune it's a little belter. These girls could really sing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I think Lisa Fischer had a great voice, perhaps she's most well known for her appearances with the Rolling Stones, singing "Give Me Shelter."
These videos cover 24 years. Time is not physically kind to many women and particularly her. While the Stones just looked progressively more haggard she had a considerable change in her appearance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought this on eBay really cheaply. (the eBay photos)

It's what's known as a "double A side."

This got to #7 in the US in 1963

s-l1600.jpg

This got to #7 in the UK but didn't do so well in the States. Curiously, the Cookies sang as backing singers on this, as they did for many other artists of the era. Little Eva is uncredited.

100.jpg

This label was used for re-issues for vinyl jukeboxes to replace worn out favourites, that were still in demand and for people who still liked to play 45s.

But then CD jukeboxes came in and vinyl went out of favour so many of these ended up in warehouses. Then about fifteen years ago vinyl was "back in," so "old new stock" appeared on sale again for enthusiasts, I've bought a few over the last ten years.

Of course, this presents me with a problem, I've got to decide what to take out.

Ask a Question