Fave songs from way back when!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Lori writes this after going to see Don McLean. The first vid is Don talking about her song and the song that he sang.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
On one of my AV/TV/ music boards, we were discussing movies you love but are not very well known

This is one of my favoutrites.

Portrait of Jennie,

Probably unknown to contemporary generations.

Jennifer Jones, at the age of 29, convincingly plays Jennie from a young girl to a grown woman.

In 1934, impoverished painter Eben Adams (Joseph Cotten) meets a fey little girl named Jennie Appleton (Jennifer Jones) in Central Park, Manhattan. She is wearing old-fashioned clothing. He makes a sketch of her from memory which involves him with art dealer Miss Spinney (Ethel Barrymore), who sees potential in him. This inspires him to paint a portrait of Jennie.

Eben encounters Jennie at intermittent intervals. Strangely, she appears to be growing up much more rapidly than is possible. He soon falls in love with her but is puzzled by the fact that she seems to be experiencing events that he discovers took place many years previously as if they had just happened. Eventually he learns the truth about Jennie and though inevitable tragedy ensues, she continues to be an inspiration to Eben's life and art, and his career makes a remarkable upturn, commencing with his portrait of Jennie.

The song of the same name written also in 1948, by J Russel Robinson and Gordon Burge,
became a "jazz standard," it was written about Jennie, " though it never featured in the film,

it "could bring a tear to your eye."

Nat King Cole - Portrait of Jennie (Capitol Records 1948)

No end of other recordings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Unlike "Portrait of Jennie," here's some classic songs that share the same title of the film in which they were featured, which became "standards."

"My Foolish Heart." (On TV the other afternoon).

A sad song featured in an equally sad film starring Susan Hayward.

I put this version by Steve Conway on YouTube 8 years ago. It's had 44,000 hits

But this is my favourite. It's had over six million hits.

"Laura."

A film starring Gene Tierney.

Lot's of versions of this "even mine."

"Someone to Watch Over Me."

Already a standard when it was featured in the film of the same name.

This recording by the late Gene Ammonds was only briefly featured, but is my favourite.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Today's artists(?) try to hide their lack of talent with outrageous performances. Look at the singers from the past on Youtube and you'll notice (or not notice) the lack of props. They simply stand in there and sing.
The stage show stuff started with MTV. Nancy and Ann Wilson (Heart) said the video era demanded entertainment and that the concert audience expected those same dramatics on stage. They said that was pretty much the end of concerts as their generation knew it and the beginning of staged shows. What the artists do today is competition for ticket sales. With Internet piracy, their money comes from touring and appearances, and those tickets are expensive to offset the price of the dancers, fireworks, dramatics, etc., but without them, people would not bother to come see them but simply download (illegally) the songs. With the virus shutting things down, it is interesting to see many of them simply performing on camera for their fans. No dancers, no flames, no fancy backgrounds. Their fans are seeing the true talent these people have or do not have. The rappers seem to be struggling the most since they are making videos of themselves talking, drinking, dancing on the kitchen counters to the radio, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
In my youth I went to several concerts, the earliest was when I was still at school in the mid fifties when I and a friend saw Louis Armstrong at the Empire Hall in London. In my late teens at would what have then been called the "Recital Room" at the Royal Festival Hall, for the likes of Chris Barber and other traditional jazz bands. Same with other halls in London pubs and places like Eel Pie Island.
Then other London venues for people like Miles Davis. None of these needed dancers or "light show," the music was enough to play to packed houses. When we were twenty, my future wife and I were living in Soho and were frequent visitors to Ronnie Scott's first jazz club of which we were members. (it was free to members during the week and warmer than our flat). Between sets you could talk to the musicians, we knew the house pianist Stan Tracey quite well.

Few contemporary piop concerts are live, the logistics and breath control needed to to sing while prancing around on a stage are far too diffcult. I've never been to one. Wouldn't appeal.

In the jazz world musicians and singers have always performed live. Whether it's been at a big arena.

Or in a record shop before a concert.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My first concert was Grateful Dead. After that was Rolling Stones, Journey, Def Leppard (all time fav), Moody Blues, etc. My era is the 80s--Spandau Ballet, Human League, Madonna, Lauper, Clash, Billy Idol, Triumph, Van Halen...and all the one hit wonders that became iconic like Flock of Seagulls and A-Ha. My nano is loaded with music from Mozart to Lady Gaga, but has an 80s section that serves as my pacifier.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Before 1979 i went with the people from work to see Cilla black in Coventry. I used to work at littlewoods store in Worcester city and it was arranged by them, Cilla black was great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I;ve been playing some Isley Brothers tunes on my Tyros 5 electric piano lately.

Maybe because this one was recently featured in a Harrison Ford movie on TV. (Witness).

They wrote some fantastic tunes. But this is my favourite, some tunes can be described as "beautiful," I think this is one of them.

Ask a Question