Fave songs from way back when!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This is a classic, from the sixties. I've recordings by Billy Stewart and Georgie Fame. It's a great tune and so easy to play

But this is a new one to me. Bobby McClure, he never made much of a show in the charts. died in 1992 at the age of 50 after brain aneurysm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a couple of classics,

This sung by Australian Joni James, was featured in an episode of the first series of the Australian produced drama, shown on BBC, "A Place to Call Home."
They used contemporary recordings like this in the first series, in the later ones they used naff covers.

This I've got by The Mills Brothers in one of my jukeboxes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've always liked this by Bea Wain in 1939 at the age of 22, she lived to be 100.

I wonder what Hoagy Carmichael would have thought of this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This tune was featured at the end of a film about cheerleaders today of which I caught the close out and credits swopping channels. (That's my story and I'm stickiing to it)

As a tune for young kids it's worn well.

Toni Basil was 37 when she recorded this the original version in 1980, so she'll be 77 this year. Makes you think doesn't it?

Of course, the "big boys cheerleaders" are these.

The jump splits at the end of their routine is very impressive, (I watch a lot of American Football on TV)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here's another "full on song" from the sixties.
The Cookies, demonstrating "girl power" long before the Spice Girls.

I like Evie Sands, she got a raw deal over this.

It got lost and the Hollies scored a hit with it, But I think her version was better.

She could sing anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
While I was out and about today heard a small part of this song. Merrilee's vocals make the song stand out. What makes this one is not only is the song great, but so is the comment section. It seems to have been distinctive to the guys heading out to 'Nam.
"smitajky 1 year ago (edited)

I was a shy young lad. When I was eighteen I met a girl and, after a few weeks, we were talking. She went and put this onto the record player. A subtle way of letting me know that she was interested in me, giving me some encouragement to work with. We have been together for nearly fifty years now. Each and every day together is a joy beyond words. For the benefit of some of those wonderful responses, we met at a motorcycle safety rally. A beautiful warm day but suddenly a storm came in. It wasn't predicted. I invited her to my mom's place, which was reasonably close, to wait out that storm. I would NEVER EVER have been so bold but doing the right thing was more important than embarrassment. OK given I have already added to the original. One week before this rally I was at a church. I had agonized over the existence of God. I had no evidence. So I proposed a test. If HE would be good enough to send me a girl who loved me I would never doubt again. I never knew for forty years that this happened to be Valentines Day. And just six days later I met her. Coincidence? I am not going to take that risk. I got what I asked for. If I had known just how much I was asking for I wouldn't have dared."

"FireStoneGeneration 1 year ago

REMEMBER DANCING WITH MARIE TO THIS SONG AT THE TRADE WINDS IN LONG BEACH, CALIF. 1969...THEN OFF TO VIETNAM......USN 68-72"

Ask a Question