Fave songs from way back when!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
BBC4 the other night had an hour long repeat of "Hot Chocolate at the BBC.

They naturally included their 1982 hit. "It Started With a Kiss."

I've always liked that tune, I've a copy of the 45 in one of my jukeboxes.

I like tunes with a story, this of course is about a "lost young love."

The lead singer, the late Errol Brown many years later, said it was about a girl in his school and named her. I seem to remember a bit in a newspaper reporting that they'd contacted her, but she said she couldn't remember him as she was never his girlfriend.

But that takes nothing away from the story in the lyrics.

As I'd nothing to do this afternoon except watch the tennis on TV, I thought I'd have a go at recording it.

I've played it "all bars out" in the second chorus adding the steel drums, trying to replicate as much as I can the 1982 hit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't that old but I like it.

Natalie Cressman

A jazz trombonist with her own band who also has a nice voice with a great range.

A departure from her usual repertoire, (much of which being her own compositions)

A Frank Ocean cover, I recorded.

Thinkin' 'bout you.

Box

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of jazz favourites.
Anita O'Day at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1958. Her "slot" was in the afternoon.
Stick with this as, her "Tea for Two," shows how articulate a singerwas she and how good was her timing

Years later she was asked about this performance. She said she couldn't remember much as she was "high" at the time.

The hat made sure she made all the papers.

Paul Desmond was at one time, part of the Dave Brubeck quartet.

Here at a concert appearing on his own a few years before his death playing a tune he wrote, I believe dedicated to his niece.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A tribute to Martha Vickers, on which I passed comment 4 years ago.
She was by far the best actress in the film. "The Big Sleep."

The Jimmy VanHuesen/Johnny Burke song, "But Beauitiful" is by Frank Sinatra, recorded in 1948..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Peter Gunn staring Craig Stevens was a popular detective series in the USA in the late fifties, in glorious monochrome, although at the time not shown in the UK. I noticed tonight showing on the "Talking Pictures" channel, a film made nearly ten years later called "Gunn" which was a spin off from the original show.

The theme tune from the programme was popular here at the time.

I never liked it.

But there were was other music in the show.

I was a particular fan of the jazz drummer Shelley Manne, his most famous collaboration was with Andre Previn for "My Fair Lady." Best selling jazz album at the time.

Shelley Manne made an album of the music from Peter Gunn, which I bought at the time, which I still have and play from time to time.

This is my favourite track. All the original music was written by Henry Mancini.

Digressing.

Conte Candoli the trumpet player on this album appeared playing with his brother Pete, at the end of this scene in one of my favourite films, "Bell Book & Candle." Well... It was Kim Novak, wasn't it?

Last edited:

Ask a Question