Fall Is Here What Are You Doing To Prepare Your Garden?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The night time temperatures have started to drop in my area. It is time to bring in the outdoor plants to protect them from frost.
We need to kill off a few weeds to keep them from coming back next spring I hope and some general cleaning and storing furniture for the winter.

What have you started to do to get your garden ready for winter?

Reaction score
I haven't done much to the garden in order to prepare it for winter. I am not too sure what I should do. I didn't have that big of a garden this past year as compared to other years. I was way to busy with my job. Should I till it now or wait until spring? The nightly temperatures drop into the 50's Fahrenheit.

Reaction score
Pat

This is a particularly busy time of year for me, and am currently busy clearing the vegetable garden, ready for rotavating or rotatilling as you call it in The States, punning trees, sowing perennial seeds and taking cuttings, dividing some of the plants that have got a bit too large, and of course that job that no one seems to like, raking up all the leaves that keep falling off the fruit trees.

You said that you, kill your weeds off, and they stop growing over the Winter and don't come back next Spring, can you give me a tip as to what weed killer you use :D mine thrive over Winter whatever the weather conditions even after being sprayed with industrial strength weedkiller.:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Weedkillers like glyphosate only work when a plant is actively growing, so not much point in using one now.

I hand weed when i'm digging the plot over, try to get as much of the roots out as possible, then spray off any new growth in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I haven't done anything yet, I've been pretty busy lately. Also, I prefer not to think about winter yet, I feel that it's a little too early to do it. Here, in my area, it's still pretty warm. Although today it's around 13c, I heard that next week it will be 18c:D
I plan to move my roses to the attic in November.

Reaction score
I have been cleaning the last of the growth out since we have a long growing season. Just today I went and turned over all the soil in my beds, dug up and weeded the water wells around my trees and raked and cleaned up leaves in the yard. Most of my plants stay on the patio year round. It's till a joy to be in the garden regardless of the season.

Reaction score
I have a few potted plants which I have been growing over the past few weeks. With the winters rushing in, it is probably a good idea to bring them inside. I plan to keep near the window of my room which is close to the balcony as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I haven't done a thing! I have been so busy with work that I have barely gone outside to water and make sure everything is still alive. I have some transplanting and weeding that needs to be done ASAP, but I am in the middle of an important project that takes precedence over everything else and there are just so many hours in the day. (Sigh) I have to completely revamp my garden plan.

Reaction score
Basically getting the garden cleaned out and put tools and other equipment away. I have a lot of leaves to clear every Fall so I don't get too elaborate with end of the season garden stuff.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Clearing up the leaves is going to keep me busy for the next few weeks, but that's about it. I need to give the grass another cut too, but it's been raining so much I've been putting it off for the last couple of weeks! Monday is supposed to be dry, so hopefully I can do it then :).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have added more mulch to protect the roots .But has been in the high 60's and middle 70's here .Lots of wind .

Reaction score
I successfully raised the security deposit to get a place for my daughter and I , so right now I'm packing, looking at apartments, selling my extra stuff , hating my current landlord, etc. Lately I only check on my plants to water them. It seems weird that I used to have enough free time to plant things from seed and pay attention to my plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have not had as much time as I wanted because hubby has been in hospital 2 times in the last 2 months with internal bleeding and things get left go ,so know what you mean life happens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4ish so they say..?
Country
United Kingdom
I would say i am 90% ready for the winter.... I know it is still late. Mid December it should all be done. To be fair all i have left to do is to to take the leaves off the denticulata around the edges, I have just taken cuttings off my Sedum and they are now doing well in the Greenhouse, and trying to put a few more plants out before its too late, I looks like it will be a mild winter so i should hopefully get away with it...

Reaction score
Over here is almost winter. I don't keep a garden in this house, and my mom threw away my calla lilies last year. But normally I would be covering my calla lily plant.

Ask a Question