Evergreen advise front yard

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted these evergreens after moving in. Seeking advise to make home look improved.
Should we just cut the tops off even with the small over hang or should we cut them down completely? Or should we leave them as they are?
They are growing right on the house and one is over the roof line. There is a lower hedge between them below large front window. I don't know how to attach the photo.
Hi do you have a name for the evergreens? It seems as though they are attaching to your siding or brick and that is never a good idea as it may retain water and actually crumble any mortar. I would trim back. and make sure they have no contact with the house itself. If you have the name of the species that would be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted these evergreens after moving in. Seeking advise to make home look improved.

I personally don’t like to have any larger trees near my house. I’m with your husband. Cut them. Your house looks beautiful, and the trees seem ‘ to ‘clutter’ the front view.

If you do want to add a tree to beautify your home, maybe plant something in the center of your front yard. Something wide shaped, but not too tall. The tree in the left side, I would cut that too. Replace with something smaller.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One eye may well be right, that such trees are best planted on the corners, but they are a bit big to move. Because of their shape I can see the windows of the house, so they are not blocking the view or the light significantly, bushes short enough to go under that window would be pretty insignificant. My worry would be more that they might draw moisture from under the house and cause subsidence, but I can't tell from the photo how close to the house they are. I like Tetter's idea of extending the planting forward, it would make them more part of an overall thing.
Calm down ,Zigs, he is trying to help, he is just a bit tied up in "The correct way of doing things", which we both know is not the only way, if it exists at all.

Ask a Question