Need a shade loving evergreen that is draught and cold tolerant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Fellow Gardeners,
I have a rental house that has a north facing front sunroom. Anything I plant in front of it is in full shade all year long. The plants on the right and left might get a little morning or evening sun but not much. This is Gainesville, FL so it is warm here but we can get temps in the 20's in the winter so I would like it to be able to survive the cold as I do not live there and I cannot expect my tenants to cover the plants. I also cannot trust my tenants to water things (no sprinkler system) so it needs to be able to survive once established. My current tenant says that she will water it while it is getting established. And the last requirement is that it not grow tall, preferably around 2 ft so it does not obscure the view from the low set windows.
I searched online and was directed towards a Korean Boxwood, I wanted to ask the opinion of all of you and see if anyone has had this plant in their landscape or can at least confirm that it will be ok in full shade.
I also stumbled across the Cast Iron plant and like the looks of it as well.
Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I am going out today or tomorrow to try to buy the plants so I can plant them this weekend :)
Happy Gardening!
Karen
You can directly email me at (e-mail address removed) if you'd like.

Ask a Question