Evergreen advise front yard

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted these evergreens after moving in. Seeking advise to make home look improved.
Should we just cut the tops off even with the small over hang or should we cut them down completely? Or should we leave them as they are?
They are growing right on the house and one is over the roof line. There is a lower hedge between them below large front window. I don't know how to attach the photo.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is photo for post above

Attachments

• 20230908_153230.jpg
    20230908_153230.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would use the lawn area to plant more conifers in. Those you already have are magnificent as they are, and I would leave them alone. The area in front, on the lawn area could look like this.....
1694531524687.png
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would use the lawn area to plant more conifers in. Those you already have are magnificent as they are, and I would leave them alone. The area in front, on the lawn area could look like this.....View attachment 99805 Welcome to the forums :)
I would use the lawn area to plant more conifers in. Those you already have are magnificent as they are, and I would leave them alone. The area in front, on the lawn area could look like this.....View attachment 99805 Welcome to the forums :)
Thank you very much for your reply. My husband absolutely hates them yet I and a few of our neighbors agree with you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe you should go ahead and plant some more, and if he still gives you hassle, I suggest divorce - much easier than removing those lovely trees :happy::playful::sorry:

Of course, this would keep the neighbours happy as well :finger:

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plants are planted in the wrong spot for equilibrium. Tall evergreens like the one in the photo are best planted on the corners of the house so they don't block the view of the house. Also planting evergreens in front of the window will block the external view. Short shrubs would look much better as long as they are below the windows. Tall evergreens like the ones in the photo should be planted about 6 feet from the corners of the house and never in front of the house. .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that gardens should be planted however the gardener sees the picture, and it's not a case of ''one size fits all'' that is a part of gardening that is such a personal choice. It's a bit like the choice of plants. Around here, Zigs grows his cactus, and although I can understand why he is so besotted by the horrible prickly things, they're not my choice. Similarly, he doesn't really have much time for my beds of perennials. His ''flowers'' are all weedy wild ones - he's all scientific and a bit of a botany freak whilst I look for stuff that's pretty.
We do both appreciate vegetables though :hungry:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that gardens should be planted however the gardener sees the picture, and it's not a case of ''one size fits all'' that is a part of gardening that is such a personal choice. It's a bit like the choice of plants. Around here, Zigs grows his cactus, and although I can understand why he is so besotted by the horrible prickly things, they're not my choice. Similarly, he doesn't really have much time for my beds of perennials. His ''flowers'' are all weedy wild ones - he's all scientific and a bit of a botany freak whilst I look for stuff that's pretty.
We do both appreciate vegetables though :hungry:
There are a few guidelines and principles used in Landscaping design. If you want to landscape like a beginner that's fine, like this homeowner has done. However, if you want a professional setting you can do one of two things. Go to college and get a degree or you can hire someone with a degree or experience to design your landscape for a price. You're right it is a choice and the person above asked for advice, which I don't mind sharing for free. However, If I was hired It would cost to design a professional landscape.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the difference between a landscaper and a landscape designer?

A landscape designer might possess an undergraduate degree, but designers are typically self-taught or learn their skills through on-the-job training
. Often, landscapers become landscape designers through experience and might not pursue higher education. Google

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
However, if you want a professional setting you can do one of two things. Go to college and get a degree or you can hire someone with a degree or experience to design your landscape for a price.

Or you could get a book and copy something by Capability Brown :rolleyes:

Not everyone wants a landscape with a Paladian bridge, big lake and a sweeping vista. Some folk just want a few trees and shrubs in their garden to look nice.

Now why don't you get off your high horse, take a few days off and stop throwing your weight around like yours is the only opinion worth listening to.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Little Nuget here's another picture to have a look at. It's a posh English house
1694731784460.png

This was used in a gardening magazine as a good example of using conifers in a front garden. It lends a bit of privacy and is maybe a bit ''Uk style''

Reaction score
Country
United States
Or you could get a book and copy something by Capability Brown :rolleyes:

Not everyone wants a landscape with a Paladian bridge, big lake and a sweeping vista. Some folk just want a few trees and shrubs in their garden to look nice.

Now why don't you get off your high horse, take a few days off and stop throwing your weight around like yours is the only opinion worth listening to.

No wonder your forum has a very low turnout and many questions never getting answered at all. I've been in the business for over 50 years and don't mind helping by sharing my experiences. I'm a professional horticulturist and landscaper and still working and give you some of my spare time to try to help people here. However, if you don't like the way I help I will just not help because I have plenty of things to do in other settings. When someone puts false information on a post and then gets mad because I check them that hurts the forum. Do you care about the forum or are too wounded from being corrected? Remember It all pays the same to me NOTHING! I'm volunteering.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you care about the forum or are too wounded from being corrected? Remember It all pays the same to me NOTHING! I'm volunteering.

I do care about the forum, that's why I've been a Volunteer moderator for over 10 years, and I wasn't wounded from being corrected as you didn't correct me at all it was my first post on this thread????

I don't care how long you've been in business, you are not going to bully people on my watch, one more outburst from you and I will ban you from the forum.

Ask a Question