Ericaceous Plant Feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I planted forget me not's to grow indoors in memory of my dad. First thing I've ever grown. I've got some Ericaceous plant feed. It says on the bottle, 'suitable for acid-loving plants'. Is this ok to use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings welcome to the Forums.

If possible, please post a photo of your plants, and readable photo of the product label.

The plants most commonly known as Forget-Me-Nots (Myosotis spp.) are small annual and perennial herbs in the Borage Family (Boraginaceae), with various species native to temperate North America, southern South America, Eurasia, Iceland, Sakhalin, Africa, New Guinea, Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand. Most commonly cultivated species do well in full to part sun, with regular water and good drainage. Preferred soil pH can range from mildly acidic to mildly alkaline.

An Ericaceous Feed is a fertilizer formula that claims to be formulated for acid-loving plants. However, they do not usually contain any ingredients that would be harmful to other plants. You could use it as a fertilizer for your Forget-Me-Nots, though if it is not a complete fertilizer it may not be sufficient long term.

Typically, Forget-Me-Nots are grown outdoors in temperate climates and are usually not considered long-lived plants, though they will persist in gardens through reseeding. So far, what has your experience been with growing them as indoor plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Thanks for the reply and greetings. As requested, I've included photos. I think you've answered my question, I wanted to ensure the plant feed wouldn't be harmful to my plant. The seeds themselves didn't come with the original packaging, so lacked the advice a novice needs. I planted in June, so missed the bloom last year. I brought back from near death a while back. I realised my mistake after the soil was looking soggy and I drilled some drainage holes into my dad's oversized mug. I keep the 'plant pot' on my window sill, so it has plenty of sunlight. Apart from many leaves I only have one stem with buds on, but I'm keeping my not very green fingers crossed. Thank you for the info.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7465.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7465.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_7466.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7466.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_7467.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7467.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_7468.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7468.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United States
That does look like a healthy Forget-Me-Not, perhaps Myosotis scorpioides. It seems sun and good drainage is the ticket indoors or out. What a lovely symbolic memento.

Yes, marketing aside, this is a basic fertilizer with some of each of the 'Big Three: Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium, plus a dash of Iron. It doesn't contain all the micro-nutrients, but often it takes a long time for some of those to leach away. Start with this, and change later if need be.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your help, it's put my mind at rest as I was concerned. My dad had green fingers but he's no longer here to ask.

Ask a Question