Needing advice on what to plant to hide a back wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all,

Thanks for having me. I'm seeking some advice as to what to plant at the end of our garden to hide a plain and boring wooden fence.

At the end of our garden we have a 4 foot wall. Just beyond that is a wooden fence denoting the boundary of a neighbours garden so there is a kind of 'no mans land' area between the wall and the fence that is about 2 foot/ 2.5 feet deep.

I would like to plant something in this no mans land area to hide the fence a bit and add some character to the garden. I don't want to do anything that would be detrimental to my neighbours fence though. I have been thinking of possibly lining the 'trough' with some sort of membrane that I could then place some soil in.

Ideally we would like some sort of evergreen to hide the fence all year round. We were considering bamboo but weren't that keen on the 'mono-ness' and so would like to know if anyone has any other suggestions?

Next door have a lovely lilac tree and another small tree/shrub that grows in the same gap, rooted in the earth at the bottom though these were probably planted well over 20 years ago. Thought it worth a mention. Also worth mentioning - wall is east facing. Probably gets 2 hours of direct sunshine in height of summer, less other times of year.

Thanks
Woody
Gdn1.jpeg
Gdn3.jpeg
Gdn4.jpeg
Gdn5.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Woody. :) The wall isn't in a very good condition and looks to have been badly patched. Why not demolish it and grow something in front of the fence? Being such a narrow gap it wouldn't be advisable to plant trees or shrubs there as they would eventually with growth, damage the fence.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It looks as though the stone wall is a retaining wall with higher ground behind it. If so it can't be removed without a replacement. Frankly, I like that rustic stone wall. It looks positively Medieval.

As for what to grow on it, either a vine or an espaliered shrub would be a fine choice. If the sunlight is truly only two hours in Summer, it mus be shade-tolerant. Vines are bit less work as they will climb against the wall by themselves, but both options will require some pruning maintenance.

Also note that there are two possible planting locations, either behind the stone wall or at the base of the stone wall. The soil level behind the stone wall can't be changed. as that would bury the wooden fence. However that is not a problem, as long as whatever is planted is already tall enough to peek above the top of the wall.

Some vines benefit from a full trellis but many can cling or be lightly tacked to the wooden fence. I wouldn't consider that a serious injury to the wooden fence, especially on the side that you always look upon. Often such fences are the shared responsibility of both owners, though it sounds like this fence might be entirely your neighbors' property.

Plant selection, the fun part.
For vines consider a Variegated Climbing Hydrangea (Hydrangea petiolaris 'Silver lining' or similar) or a Variegated Kiwi Vine (Actinidia kolomikta). If you would prefer an evergreen vine, perhaps a variegated ivy. I'm partial to Hedera canariensis 'Gloire de Marengo'. I mention variegated options because their bright foliage will lighten up the dark shade, but of course there are many completely green options as well.

For shrubs that might be espaliered, the possible choices are even wider. A variegated Japanese Kerria (Kerria japonica 'Picta') comes to mind as something the right scale for the space and easy to espalier, but the list could go on and on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'd buysome big oblong containers and secure them to the top of the wall, So you'd havea two tiered effect growing some small shrubs at the bottom and whatever you like at the top.
Alternatively fix some uprights to the wall and mount some tall trellis to them to hide the wall and the fence and grow something like a wisteria.

This one of ours hides the fence. It's supported on lateral wires every foot or so connected to eyes fixed to the concrete posts so the panels are completely free.

P1040073.JPG

We grow dahlias below it.

P1030204.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Woody. :) The wall isn't in a very good condition and looks to have been badly patched. Why not demolish it and grow something in front of the fence? Being such a narrow gap it wouldn't be advisable to plant trees or shrubs there as they would eventually with growth, damage the fence.
Thanks Sheal, unfortunately the wall is a retaining wall to an extent as the garden level the other side is slightly higher. Also the wall runs the length of 3 or 4 gardens so not possible to remove it. It seems to be lasting the test of time so far though!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It looks as though the stone wall is a retaining wall with higher ground behind it. If so it can't be removed without a replacement. Frankly, I like that rustic stone wall. It looks positively Medieval.

As for what to grow on it, either a vine or an espaliered shrub would be a fine choice. If the sunlight is truly only two hours in Summer, it mus be shade-tolerant. Vines are bit less work as they will climb against the wall by themselves, but both options will require some pruning maintenance.

Also note that there are two possible planting locations, either behind the stone wall or at the base of the stone wall. The soil level behind the stone wall can't be changed. as that would bury the wooden fence. However that is not a problem, as long as whatever is planted is already tall enough to peek above the top of the wall.

Some vines benefit from a full trellis but many can cling or be lightly tacked to the wooden fence. I wouldn't consider that a serious injury to the wooden fence, especially on the side that you always look upon. Often such fences are the shared responsibility of both owners, though it sounds like this fence might be entirely your neighbors' property.

Plant selection, the fun part.
For vines consider a Variegated Climbing Hydrangea (Hydrangea petiolaris 'Silver lining' or similar) or a Variegated Kiwi Vine (Actinidia kolomikta). If you would prefer an evergreen vine, perhaps a variegated ivy. I'm partial to Hedera canariensis 'Gloire de Marengo'. I mention variegated options because their bright foliage will lighten up the dark shade, but of course there are many completely green options as well.

For shrubs that might be espaliered, the possible choices are even wider. A variegated Japanese Kerria (Kerria japonica 'Picta') comes to mind as something the right scale for the space and easy to espalier, but the list could go on and on.
Hi Marck, thanks for the advice and all the suggestions. There's some great ones in there. Maybe a vine is the way to go though the Japonica looks great as well!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd buysome big oblong containers and secure them to the top of the wall, So you'd havea two tiered effect growing some small shrubs at the bottom and whatever you like at the top.
Alternatively fix some uprights to the wall and mount some tall trellis to them to hide the wall and the fence and grow something like a wisteria.

This one of ours hides the fence. It's supported on lateral wires every foot or so connected to eyes fixed to the concrete posts so the panels are completely free.

View attachment 87490

We grow dahlias below it.

View attachment 87491
Thanks Sean. Yes the idea of some box containers is a good one. I've been thinking along those lines so as to reduce any impact on my neighbours wall over time if I planted anything there. Your Wisteria looks great as do the Dahlias!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks All! Some great ideas and suggestions. There's plenty of food for thought there. Time to do some further research!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you can't knock it down how about some raised planters in front of that wall. Then what you grow should cover the top of it.
How tall is that wall? You may be able to put planters on top of it.

Ask a Question