Elephant ear plant new growth question

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Hello! My husband and I are very (very, very) new to plant care. We recently acquired several tropical plants. We live in Kenya, and acquired the plants from an outdoor grower who said they would do well indoors.

I have SO many questions, but I will start here.

I have no idea how to identify exactly what type of elephant ear this is. It has popped out two new leaves in the last three weeks since we got it, but as you can see from the photo, the older new leaf (which the newest new leaf is sprouting from) is a bit limp. Is this normal during new growth? Will it come back? It was fine until this morning when we noticed the new leaf beginning to pop out.

Please bear with me. I have no idea what I am doing. Thank you!!
20200201_210800.jpg
20200201_210808.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keep the plants (Alocasia) in as bright as you can find spot, with indirect light or filtered sunlight and keep the soil consistently moist, but not wet for the best growing conditions. A few hours of morning sunlight won't hurt her either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A few hours of afternoon light wont hurt either. The leaves will grow toward the light which may impact its habit in ground but a pot can be rotated.

Ask a Question