Electric Extendable Pole Hedge Trimmer suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have probably close to 200ft of English and Skip laurels combined that average about 8-10' in height. I'm getting far too old for my back to tolerate extending out beyond a ladder. I can only do small amounts at a time and it's painful. It's time to get a pole trimmer to work from the ground, as much as possible.

Ideally, I'd like to buy an electric corded extension pole hedge trimmer, but I'm having trouble finding the right one. I'd like a quality tool, but not $500-$800.00 worth. Ouch!

I do have a corded Stihl Hedge trimmer that's a beast. It's powerful but unrealistically heavy. The blades are too slow for the gap size between blades and it chews leaves badly no matter how slow or fast I go. It leaves them looking butchered and tattered, so I have to go over the entire thing with hand shears afterwards. I paid a lot for it, and it's been a complete disappointment.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a professional quality extending pole hedge trimmer that they'd suggest? I'm not interested in attachments or anything, just a tall extension pole with adjustable angle on the head. Preferably corded, but I'm not sure I can stick with that requirement or not? I may have to go with re-chargeable. Mainly I want quality blades that last and easier to sharpen or service. And also, high strokes (reciprocation) per minute as possible or adjustable speeds would be a plus. I was hoping some of you might be able to suggest something for me to look at and consider? Especially those who have English Laurel hedges and what they use?

Thanks for your time and take care! :)

stihl-telescopic-hedge-trimmer-1-1400x1867.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Screenshot_20240604_065205_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The painting industry has a variety of adaptable articulating extension handles that might be cobbled with a lighter weight electric tool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello CreakyGardener!

A neighbor has a Sun Joe 21" Blade extendable & likes it. The extension comes off for close up work. I don't know the specifications & doubt it's a Professional tool, but may be worth trying.

Here's a link of ads, disguised as an article. One of those may be useful to you: https://thebackyardmaster.com/best-long-reach-hedge-trimmers/

Paul

Attachments

• Sun Joe.png
    Sun Joe.png
    526.1 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I recently bought an Atlas weed trimmer from Harbor Freight and am impressed. It has available hedge trimmer and pole saw attachments. I'm thinking of getting the saw myself.

I sprung for the big battery and charger which were pricey. But, these are a one time purchase. The attachments aren't especially expensive.

I know Harbor Freight gets a bad rap but they've made great strides in their quality. Combined with the decline in quality from other companies the difference between cheap garbage and high quality isn't as great as it used to be.

Ask a Question