Electrical equipment in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I am seeking some advice with an issue I have with electrical equipment on the boundary of my rear garden
I built the house 22 years ago, having had the pole you can see in the attached photo moved from the middle of the plot to the North boundary.
I surrounded the pole with conifers set at a required five mtrs radius that hid the pole but last year I had to remove the conifers due to disease (you can see the semi-circle where the conifers were)
I have just planted Laurel to fill the space on the boundary between the existing laurel and a brick wall I built creating a walled garden
I am now looking at what options I have to deal with the "stay wire" that can be seen in the photo.
I was thinking of building a wooden square raised planter that I could plant a Portuguese Lauren or something that would mask the lower part of the stay wire. This is where I need input
two issues in this area of garden is, not much soil its predominantly sand and although the conifers seemed to like it I would think its an issue, also between the stay wire and the pole is the house soakaway, not that it's a water issue as being on sand there's never any holding water
any Help, advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Paul C

Attachments

• 2023-02-16 12.50.36.jpg
    2023-02-16 12.50.36.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum.
Morning glory do well on sandy and impoverished soils, less leaves, more flowers, but they are annuals. Mile a minute AKA Russian vine, would cover the whole thing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Oliver
Don’t want to use a climber, cannot allow it to climb towards the pole (transformer)
That was the thought about using the Portuguese Laural thinking it will grow vertical but spread out and grow in poor soil conditions.
Any other suggestions?.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I've got two poles like this in my yard (garden).

On one I planted hops to climb the guy wire / stay wire.
On the other I am trying to start an ivy growing up the wooden pole itself.

On a third pole that is touching the fence across the back of my garden there is a mix of hops and morning glory growing up the wires and pole. I'm fighting to kill off the morning glory each year but the hops is welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome cully. :) I would seriously consider something other than laurels. Many British gardeners are losing there's due to disease.

Does the area beyond the hedge and wall belong to you? I'm surprised the pole wasn't mounted there being as it's a piece of ground that looks unused. Plus, the stay wire is very inconvenient where it is and could be a safety issue.

Meadow flowers are an option as they thrive in starved ground and would only need to be cut down once a year in late summer, after they have shed their seed. Thyme is also good for ground cover, liking the same soil conditions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome cully. :) I would seriously consider something other than laurels. Many British gardeners are losing there's due to disease.

Does the area beyond the hedge and wall belong to you? I'm surprised the pole wasn't mounted there being as it's a piece of ground that looks unused. Plus, the stay wire is very inconvenient where it is and could be a safety issue.

Meadow flowers are an option as they thrive in starved ground and would only need to be cut down once a year in late summer, after they have shed their seed. Thyme is also good for ground cover, liking the same soil conditions.
The laurel on the boundary fence, left of the pole, have been there for years and grow well that's the reasoning in planting the new Laurel to the right of the pole.
The land beyond the laurel belongs to a farmer who, when I approached him to discuss the siting of the pole told me to "get off his land" end of that conversation.
Regards the pole and stay wire position they were there before I got planning so I cannot get it removed.
The soiled area where the conifers were I am going to grass so I was considering planting the Portuguese laurel maybe 1 to 2 mtrs from the foot of the star wire and allowing it to grow and spread, covering the bottom part of the wire
As an alternative to the laurel is there a conifer that would be a better plant?
I don't want climbers
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The laurel on the boundary fence, left of the pole, have been there for years and grow well that's the reasoning in planting the new Laurel to the right of the pole.
The land beyond the laurel belongs to a farmer who, when I approached him to discuss the siting of the pole told me to "get off his land" end of that conversation.
Regards the pole and stay wire position they were there before I got planning so I cannot get it removed.
The soiled area where the conifers were I am going to grass so I was considering planting the Portuguese laurel maybe 1 to 2 mtrs from the foot of the star wire and allowing it to grow and spread, covering the bottom part of the wire
As an alternative to the laurel is there a conifer that would be a better plant?
I don't want climbers
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So something tall, self supporting, that grows in poor soil, Laurels and leylandii both might do it, they are evergreen as well . I didn't know about the laurel disease, but there is an aphid decimating leylandii hedges as well. Mind you I have one along one side of the garden that the previous owner didn't deal with and is six feet thick, been wondering where I can get some nice hungry aphids ;)

Sorry, not very helpful, have you considered silver birch? Birch grows fast on shallow soil and is a very pretty tree that looks nice in a small clump. I will carry on thinking about it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about trees (Silver Birch) what's the thoughts on Amelenchier Lamarckii

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom

Such a nice friendly soul you can do without.

Escallonia makes good hedging and if your soil is reasonable Hebe's too. I would avoid conifers if you intend to grow other plants around them. Their roots spread a long way and sap the soil of nutrients and water.

Ask a Question