Antique Electrical Equipment Still in Daily Use

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I mentioned elsewhere that we had a new kitchen ten years ago and that every electric appliance we had in it, much of it new has had to be replaced, two of them twice.

But I'm still using on a daily basis a Binatone clock radio, I got as as a "freebe," in 1985.

What appliances or electric items in daily use have you got in your home that's given long and faithful service?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Binatone Still Working(y) At the Time they Came out I would not of thought that they would last that long :)Remember Amstrad :rolleyes: I wonder if there is any of there early Stereo's from the 80s still Working :whistle: Some Good Friends of Mine still has a working JVC Nivico Videosphere Retro space helmet TV, in 1970`s It Lovely Item that they Turn on When they have Party's. They only play seventies Programs like Doctor Who & old Film of Jimmy Hendrix etc. on it. Just the other Day I was round a Friends Playing Records. O yes & I did Have a Binatone Clock Radio Back in the 80s ;) It Got me out of Bed as I was a vary lazy Teenager then :D. I still have some 80s stuff Amps & record Deck Plus some old 60s & 70s Radios. Also got a late 70s Metal Detector for finding my Keys & a vary dangerous 50s Fan. Most of that stuff I keep in my 60s Caravan. I almost Got my 90s Ski's out the other day but although we Had plenty of snow I was short on Hills near by(n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I still use the clock radio I got in 82 . It’s missing a knob but I only change it for daylight savings time twice a year .
I still use a guitar amp I bought in 76 daily

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Both my Philips record deck, Sharp cassette deck and Goodmans Havant speakers date from 1972, I bought them new. The Philips 790 tuner/amp (curiously made in Finland) I bought at the same time, gave up the ghost a few years ago and I replaced it with a second hand Leak 2000 from 1980. They're all in daily use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have my in laws old radio record player combination. It has a sticker on the back stating date of manufactur as 1926. It is AM and shortwave radio. The motor on the turntable still works but the drive belt has disintegrated. The wooden cabinet is rough but still good looking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I have my in laws old radio record player combination. It has a sticker on the back stating date of manufacture as 1926. It is AM and shortwave radio. The motor on the turntable still works but the drive belt has disintegrated. The wooden cabinet is rough but still good looking.

Drive belts if you wanted to get a new one, are quite easy to obtain. There are firms who will make them to order if you give them the measurements.

Ask a Question