Earth Day 2017

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The city of Atlantic Beach gave us a huge 96-gallon trash can, much like this one here; https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...0208798&lsft=gclid:CK3ds8nCutMCFZJahgodFmsPqQ

However, I don't produce enough trash to use it, so on trash days I only put out my recycling container and a separate bag for trash (It'd be point less to put it in the huge trash can). In the winter I allow all the critters to hibernate in the trash can, I've found all kinds of lizards and frogs hiding in there. But in the summer I use it as a rain barrel. I've also used it to go pick up yard waste.

To me, earth day should be all about habitat. As for global warming. I'm a denier, but won't get started on that...:whistle::p:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As for global warming. I'm a denier, but won't get started on that...:whistle::p:D

Said before, atmospheric CO2 is at it's lowest level since the coal was laid down in the Carboniferous period, but people keep saying its high :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Probably best not to get into climate change ;) I'm sure we can all agree that whatever the situation, we live on a planet with limited resources and an ever expanding population, so we need to live sustainably. The planet will be fine whatever happens, but it's us who will suffer if we don't look after it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Texas is particularly water sensitive. The town of Dripping Springs ran out of water and had to truck it in (does anyone else see the irony in this?). Many towns and cities have water conservation rules--you can water lawns on certain days, and incur a fine if you break the rule.
I have probably posted this before, but here is one of our rainwater holders:
Water Collection.jpg

This holds 250 gallons, and we have two more collecting off the barn roof.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I also collect rainwater and make natural compost. On the my land is growing Platanthéra bifólia and Dactylorhíza maculáta . Now the population of these plants has decreased. Therefore, we protect them. Near each I put a peg to not mow.

We have a lot of water, but the rivers are slowly becoming shallow. I do not know why the water goes away.
Of course, the planet must be cared for. We are just part of the overall ecosystem.

Now in many countries of the world there is a phenomenon called "The Rumble of the Earth". In Moscow, we also heard this. As if the planet is moaning, a terrible sound. I thought we would stop now.
We sometimes perceive Nature as something constant and unchanging. But she needs care. If someone does not want to care, then at least do not destroy. No one will move to another planet.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ooo, can we see pics of the orchids when they flower Larisa? :)

We had that rumble of the earth back in the dry summer of 1976 in Cornwall, strange noises coming from underground :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Ooo, can we see pics of the orchids when they flower Larisa? :)

Of course! :):love:

We had that rumble of the earth back in the dry summer of 1976 in Cornwall, strange noises coming from underground :cautious:

So long ago??? I think we knew nothing about this at the time. In Russia, this was noted after 2000. Perhaps, before, no one spoke. Specifically in Moscow - 2012, 2014, 2015 ...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Hmm, about the time they started messing with the large hadron colider then :cautious:

Yes, that's how it all begins. Once, Maria Curie wrote a thesis and showed her friends a "glowing tube." It must have been cute. And then came the atomic weapon. :sneaky:

Yeah, i'm old

Ha, I finished 1st grade in 1976!
I always think that it was recently ... (Where is the smile "shoot yourself?")

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just been doing some research, could be spacequakes. when the earth's magnetic field gets torn by the solar wind, sends plasma energy hurtling back towards us, causes northern lights and electrical failures too :eek:

:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Just been doing some research, could be spacequakes. when the earth's magnetic field gets torn by the solar wind, sends plasma energy hurtling back towards us, causes northern lights and electrical failures too :eek:

:D

I hope that the magnetic field will not lose its stability. However, the northern lights are moving to the south, and "glowing pillars" appear. Whales, dolphins and some birds lose their orientation and perish.
I hope that we will not turn into Mars. :cry:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I hope that the magnetic field will not lose its stability. However, the northern lights are moving to the south, and "glowing pillars" appear. Whales, dolphins and some birds lose their orientation and perish.
I hope that we will not turn into Mars. :cry:

The poles have flipped many times in Earth's pre history, it's recorded by the direction of magnetic particles in lava flows. We're on the verge of a flip now I beleive. Animals have adapted before :)

Unlike Mars, Earth still has a molten core which generates the magnetic field. Mars cooled down and couldn't hold it's atmosphere or oceans :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
The poles have flipped many times in Earth's pre history, it's recorded by the direction of magnetic particles in lava flows. We're on the verge of a flip now I beleive. Animals have adapted before :)

Here, many scientists think so too.
I suspect that the global Internet shutdown is already a disaster.
If you do not talk about other consequences of inversion.

Stop the planet, I will step off! :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Here, many scientists think so too.
I suspect that the global Internet shutdown is already a disaster.
If you do not talk about other consequences of inversion.

Stop the planet, I will step off! :D

They mention global power outages let alone the internet :eek:

Last time the poles flipped was 780,000 years ago, we were too busy making stone tools in the rift valley to notice it :D

Ask a Question