JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Earth Day is a great time to do something to help protect and restore our planet and the species living on it. There are many ways that we as individuals can take part. Some go to their local park and pick up garbage, others limit their electricity usage. Here on the Gardening Forums, what better way to give back to our Earth than to plant species of plants that are native to our area?!

If you live in the United States, some of the most popular native plants are Orange Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa), Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata), Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), & Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta).
IMG_2995 copy.jpg IMG_1847 (2) copy.jpg IMG_2082.jpg IMG_1430 copy1.jpg

When it comes down to it, there are all sorts of bright and showy native plant species, like Blanket Flower, Blue-eyed Grass, and Liatris.
IMG_1762 copy.jpg IMG_1507 copy.jpg IMG_1974 copy.jpg

If you're new to native gardening, you can always start small. Even a section that's 3' by 3' will fit many native plants. Here, I have a 4' by 2.5' rounded garden section. There isn't much going on just yet, but by this Summer, it will be filled with color, and filled with all sorts of wildlife. Bees, Butterflies, Caterpillars, Beetles, Frogs, Toads, and even Birds will benefit from this small native garden.
IMG_7068 copy.jpg

Once I started gardening with native plants, I instantly wanted more. I was thrilled with all the wildlife I was seeing using my plants - the habitat I created for them - and I knew that they needed more, so I added more native gardens, and then more after that.

Collecting your native seeds in Autumn means you can expand your own garden for free. That's what I did last year, and again this past Winter. I also grew a few plants for relatives. It's great knowing my habitat is going to be apart of creating new small habitats in their yards as well, and I hope that continues to branch out to people they know.
IMG_7100 copy.jpg

Maybe, just maybe, 2016 will bring more habitat to the species that need it, and maybe you'll be apart of that! Consider planning your native garden today!

Happy Earth Day, everyone.

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Happy Earth Day!

I spent mine appreciating how much the Earth has contributed to our comfort when we give back by recycling and planting of trees and plants.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I have always hated Earth Day. Not because I hate plants, but because people usually host marathons during this day, and even though they claim to be "helping the environment", they do more harm by consuming thousands of those Styrofoam cups they drink during races, and just throw them in the streets for the cleaners to pick up. That is DEFINITELY not what they meant when they created that Earth Day run.

Reaction score
I have always hated Earth Day. Not because I hate plants, but because people usually host marathons during this day, and even though they claim to be "helping the environment", they do more harm by consuming thousands of those Styrofoam cups they drink during races, and just throw them in the streets for the cleaners to pick up. That is DEFINITELY not what they meant when they created that Earth Day run.

Yes, this exactly! Actually I just find this day kinda depressing, because well, as we speak a lot forests are disappearing, nuclear waste is being spilled in the pacific (thanks to the people of The Fukushima plant) and many other things and people who are destroying our planet.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Actually I just find this day kinda depressing

It should be depressing, but not more so than every other day of the year, because whether it's Earth Day or Thanksgiving, the planet is being destroyed. Earth Day wasn't created as a day to celebrate and be happy, rather to raise awareness in hopes that more people would do more to protect Earth's environment. We all have the power to do something, big or small, and it all makes a difference. Gardeners are people who can really start making a difference, one yard at a time, simply by adding native plants. It doesn't get much easier than that.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We all have the power to do something, big or small, and it all makes a difference. Gardeners are people who can really start making a difference, one yard at a time, simply by adding native plants

We should all do our part. Turn your yard into a refuge for plants and animals. Make the front yard as beautiful as the back.

http://www.thewppc.org/gardensmap.html

http://westcook.wildones.org/wildlife-corridor/

http://www.nwf.org/How-to-Help/Garden-for-Wildlife/Create-a-Habitat.aspx

http://www.earthshare.org/2012/05/wildlifegardentips.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife_garden

A new hope:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/wild-ways.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
It's a paradox really. I agree with you. I run these races and I have seen the things you mentioned. Surprisingly enough, in my town, we have this issue handled very well. Some voluntaries are picking up the plastic that we drop in the race and we also have two or three big dumpers where everything is collected. I also like to stay after the race with fellow runners to help cleaning up when we get some rest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Recycling plants and growing native species is a great way to give back to the planet. My dad was working at a local airport and they decided to do some construction and add a couple of new buildings a couple of years ago. As they were preparing the ground for the building foundations, my dad collected a couple of the plants that had been dug up and planted theM in his own yard. The planto are thriving and the best part was is that he got them for free.

Ask a Question