Diatomaceous Earth and Ants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I know someone who hates (emphasize: HATE) ants. They bought some diatomaceous earth, because supposedly it's suppose to take care of ants. I looked at their yard this morning (they spread the stuff yesterday -- late morning) and I saw an ant walk thru the stuff -- diatomaceous earth.

I'm just curious...is this stuff really good for controlling ants? I'm sure the ants don't like it, but I didn't really see any astounding reductions in some areas.

Curious of others experience with diatomaceous earth and ants or any other insects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know someone who hates (emphasize: HATE) ants. They bought some diatomaceous earth, because supposedly it's suppose to take care of ants. I looked at their yard this morning (they spread the stuff yesterday -- late morning) and I saw an ant walk thru the stuff -- diatomaceous earth.

I'm just curious...is this stuff really good for controlling ants? I'm sure the ants don't like it, but I didn't really see any astounding reductions in some areas.

Curious of others experience with diatomaceous earth and ants or any other insects.
DE is very effective on ants and any hard shelled and many soft bodied insects. If they get it on them, and, just one tiny flour sized particle is enough, they will die. Not DRT , but fairly soon. It is an abrasive, like 2000 grit sandpaper and when it gets, lets say, on or in their ankle joint, it literally grinds thru the insects exoskeleton and it bleeds to death. The only thing wrong with DE is that if it gets damp it"s useless. And after it dries it has compacted together, sort of like concrete and looses most if not all of its effectiveness. DE is also an effective de-wormer in animals. Just mix a very small amount into their food on a regular basis. For folks who have chickens, dust it around and it controls flies. It's good stuff in the garden too, mainly for hard bodied insects like grasshoppers and beetles of all types. I don't think it does a thing to caterpillars and I know it doesn't control egg laying moths but for what it does it does it very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I understand it is crushed up coral ( well diatoms anyway) and is a superfine calciferous product. I have seen youtube vids where it is claimed that DE usage led to at least a lost vigor in planting areas where the product was used. I am sure that there are a lot of variables, but I took away a belief that I should look into it more before I go wild and make it snow with DE.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I understand it is crushed up coral ( well diatoms anyway) and is a superfine calciferous product. I have seen youtube vids where it is claimed that DE usage led to at least a lost vigor in planting areas where the product was used. I am sure that there are a lot of variables, but I took away a belief that I should look into it more before I go wild and make it snow with DE.
Coral and DE are two different things. Coral is made from calcium carbonate and DE is made from fossilized remains of tiny marine organisms called diatoms which are made of silica. There is no relation between the two. DE does not harm soil in any way. DE does harm insects, including bees so try not to get it on blooms. And as far as making snow, a little bit of this stuff goes a LOOONG way. I bought a 5 lb bag about 10 years ago and still have a lot left, but, I mainly use spinosad because high humidity causes it to lose its effectiveness sooner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Coral and DE are two different things. Coral is made from calcium carbonate and DE is made from fossilized remains of tiny marine organisms called diatoms which are made of silica. There is no relation between the two. DE does not harm soil in any way. DE does harm insects, including bees so try not to get it on blooms. And as far as making snow, a little bit of this stuff goes a LOOONG way. I bought a 5 lb bag about 10 years ago and still have a lot left, but, I mainly use spinosad because high humidity causes it to lose its effectiveness sooner.

Humidity here is unbelieveable and I would think that is why I do not see it used much except inside a hvac controlled space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well! ...you learn something new everyday , never heard of this before. Just looked it up and read up on it :)(y)

Ask a Question