Dwarf fig wilting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
A plea for help from a fairly inexperienced gardener! I bought a 'Fignomenal' variety dwarf fig tree 5 weeks ago. It seemed fine, even produced some very small figs, until the leaves began drooping around 2 weeks ago. See photo taken today. FYI, there was a very heavy rain 3 days ago. I am in northern New Jersey. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230712_102828.jpg
    20230712_102828.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's an easy fix. Your plant has used up all the reserves in the pot. When it rains the excess rain water will wash or flush the nutrients out of the pot. That's what it looks like to me. To fix the plant use the same pot and gently tip the plant out of the pot. Remove about 1/3 of old potting mix and replace it with the new potting mix in the same pot. Use the same size pot to keep the same water volume the plants are already used to.

When big rains come to town put all your container plants under cover and hand water with rain later.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
First, I want to thank you for your post about the Fignomenal variety. I've been looking for a fig to grow in container and that one seems to be perfect. When I can find one, I'll order it.

As to your plea for help, I agree with oneeye's recommendation but with the addition of some nutrients like fish emulsion applied periodically.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's an easy fix. Your plant has used up all the reserves in the pot. When it rains the excess rain water will wash or flush the nutrients out of the pot. That's what it looks like to me. To fix the plant use the same pot and gently tip the plant out of the pot. Remove about 1/3 of old potting mix and replace it with the new potting mix in the same pot. Use the same size pot to keep the same water volume the plants are already used to.

When big rains come to town put all your container plants under cover and hand water with rain later.
Thank you! I'll try it, I hope there's still time to save it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First, I want to thank you for your post about the Fignomenal variety. I've been looking for a fig to grow in container and that one seems to be perfect. When I can find one, I'll order it.

As to your plea for help, I agree with oneeye's recommendation but with the addition of some nutrients like fish emulsion applied periodically.
Thanks!

Ask a Question