Help with dwarf gardenias

Reaction score
Country
United States
My dwarf gardenias were full and beautiful. Last winter it went down to 7 degrees for about 3 days. I live in Georgia and that never happens here. I didn't think the gardenias would make it since all the leaves died so I just left them alone to see what would happen. They have leaves all over them now but they are not full any more and all the tips are dead. I'm slowly trimming that off. Should I cut the bushes way back this fall? I don't know what to do with them now. I would appreciate any help. I attached 2 pics but not sure if they're showing up or not

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are the pics I tried to post in the above comment. I guess I should have cut them back after all the leaves died this winter. But that's never happened before and I wasn't sure they would ever come back from that so I just waited to see what would happen.

Attachments

• 20230707_163831.jpg
    20230707_163831.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230707_163805.jpg
    20230707_163805.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 6

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome. I also have gardenias and also had a cold snap last winter, probably the same one as yours, that sent temp plummeting to 11 deg. F which is highly unusual for here.

I only removed dead leaves/limbs from it, and it has done ok this summer but not as thick and bushy as normal.

I will do that again if it happens again, careful not to remove any live materials only remove dead stuff. If/when it fully bushes out again, I'll prune to shape but not while it is still in stress and not trim way back.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can take your thumbnail and scratch the bark to see if it's green or brown and cut off the brown.

Ask a Question