drying roots

Reaction score
Country
Korea, Republic Of
hi, i'm drying the roots (and leaves) of chives and after drying, the roots got damp from some rain that blew in on them...now the finest roots have turned green...do i need to rewash them and redry or just leave them to dry as they are? thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

I have only dried the stems but can assure you that even those need to be very thoroughly dried or else you get moldy muck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Just this morning, we transplanted the basil to another location because we noticed one stem that dried. Upon investigation, the roots seemed to have a problem but we didn't find any pests - take note that some parasites are small organisms that are not visible to the naked eye. To remedy the problem, we replanted the basil to a location that has enough sunlight. The heat will control the parasite, if any.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Many plants can be air-dried in hot, dry weather. However, if conditions are cool and/or humid, consider using an oven set to a fairly low temperature, of about 150º F. (65º C). A convection oven, or specially designed dehydrator would be ideal, but you should be able to get good results with most standard ovens too.

Chives (Allium schoenoprasum) is a fine-leaved relative of Onion (A. cepa) and Garlic (A. sativum), in the Onion Subfamily (Allioideae) of the Amaryllis Family (Amaryllidaceae). It is native to much of Europe, temperate Asia, Japan, Sakhalin, and northern North America.
All parts of the Chives plant are edible to humans, but the slender leaves are the part most commonly used as a culinary herb.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tienes que mirar qué planta está plantada, si tu planta se seca en ese lugar, plántala en otro lugar, donde el suelo blando reciba más sol para que la planta obtenga una mejor nutrición.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi, i'm drying the roots (and leaves) of chives and after drying, the roots got damp from some rain that blew in on them...now the finest roots have turned green...do i need to rewash them and redry or just leave them to dry as they are? thanks
If the roots of your chives have turned green, it's possible that they have started to develop mold or fungal growth due to the dampness. It's best to err on the side of caution and rewash and redry them to ensure that they are completely dry and free of any mold or fungus.

To do this, you can gently rinse the roots under cool running water, taking care not to damage them, and then pat them dry with a clean towel or paper towel. After that, spread them out in a single layer on a dry surface in a well-ventilated area to allow them to dry completely. It may take a few extra days for them to dry again, but it's important to ensure that they are completely dry before storing them to prevent mold or fungal growth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question