Dracaena Lisa's leaves turning black despite chlorine-free watering

Reaction score
Country
United States
As you can see from the photos, my Dracaena Lisa's leaves are turning black despite me watering it only when needed (I use a soil moisture meter) and also with chlorine-free water (I let the tap water to sit out). It's not placed in a direct sun either. Do you know what might be the cause of that?

Would it be necessary to use distilled water as well perhaps?

IMG-0168.jpg

IMG-0166.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Water quality is not likely the issue here, but water frequency and/or drainage is so.
Don't rely on a water meter. Instead irrigate the plants root ball completely until water drains from the pot. After that, allow the soil to partly dry before the next irrigation. Don't let the pot sit in a saucer of water.

Also, I hope your Dracaena fragrans is in a container with drainage holes. If not it needs to be repotted. Post a photo of the soil and container. From what I can see, it looks like there might be a black nursery pot that is set inside another white container that may or may not have drainage holes. If so, the outer container is acting like a flooded saucer and should be drained after each irrigation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the answer.
  1. "Instead irrigate the plants root ball completely until water drains from the pot." - Yes, I've been always doing that since I got that plant in September.
  2. "Also, I hope your Dracaena fragrans is in a container with drainage holes." - yes it is, and I always drain the water after each irrigation, like you said.
I attached the photos of the soil and container. I'm still not sure what might cause the leaves to turn black.

Also, should I cut those black edges? Even if I do, I don't suppose those leaves would grow back?

Plant_1.jpg
Plant_2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, the cut leaf tips will not regenerate, but hte will look more attractive with the dead tips removed.
The majority of the leaves have not formed dead tips, suggesting this is an occasional, reoccurring situation. There could be a fungal disease component to this, though often such diseases are often facilitated by cultural problems.
Keep tweaking factors, one at a time, and try to judge if there is improvement.
Of course, having every leaf perfect on a large plant is an exceptional feat. With age, most leaves will begin to show some wear and tear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9
Country
United Kingdom
I have a collection of various Dracaena and always water them with rain water. l find my tap water , even if left to stand , is still unsuitable. I’ve not had any leaf issues since using rain water . Worth a try !

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keep tweaking factors, one at a time, and try to judge if there is improvement.
What would you suggest to do at the beginning? I've heard that filtering water through a Brita pitcher might help? What do you think?

I have a collection of various Dracaena and always water them with rain water. l find my tap water , even if left to stand , is still unsuitable. I’ve not had any leaf issues since using rain water . Worth a try !
Thanks, but unfortunately I live in the Bay Area in CA and there's practically no rain in here!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, give filtered or purified water a try. Do you have exceptionally hard water, perhaps from a well?

Ask a Question