How to make a Dracaena get new growth?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone!

I got this baby from my work and brought it home hoping it would come alive with some proper care but it’s been with me for about 6 months now and no new growth has come in. It’s a single long stem and with leafs at the top. I did propagate some leafs from another branch and planted it in the same pot and it seems to be doing good but I’m just not sure what else I can do to make it have more greenery. Please advise :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
You might consider cutting the top and re-rooting it. This will both give you a new plant from the cutting and will also encourage the trunk to resprout near where the cut was made. Spring would be an ideal time to try this.

From a design perspective, consider keeping tall Dracaena fragrans, but surrounding it with two or three other containers containing other large but lower-growing plants, such as a Dieffenbachia or Ficus.

Several Dracaena fragrans stems can be grown in the same container.
However, if there is already an established root system in the container, this might inhibit proper rooting of a new stem.

Ask a Question