Do you think a garden should be thematic?

Reaction score
I think that everyone should do what works best for them. I think thematic gardens are adorable, however, I also like garden gnomes. My tastes differ from my neighbor's, so our gardens will look different. That's what makes life wonderful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I may have one "thematic" garden--herbs. I have them grouped together near my kitchen door for convenience's sake, plus I like the scents when I go out early in the morning. Otherwise, I just find a spot and stick a plant in--hoping it will get along with its neighbors and grow happily. My flower gardens are haphazard, but I enjoy them.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Its really a tough job and one might have creative ideas about garden themes i got to know some useful information related to garden theme,
some of them i want to share with all of you, cottage garden,Decorative Shade Gardens,Rock Gardens,Water Gardens. Cottage garden theme is really sounds good, am very particular to have a natural look of my garden. I am very much excited, going to work on these from next week.

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Its really a tough job and one might have creative ideas about garden themes i got to know some useful information related to garden theme,
some of them i want to share with all of you, cottage garden,Decorative Shade Gardens,Rock Gardens,Water Gardens. Cottage garden theme is really sounds good, am very particular to have a natural look of my garden. I am very much excited, going to work on these from next week.

by Decorative Shade Garden, do you mean a Garden where a person can sit and find shade on a sunny day? I think this is an interesting concept. Do you have any photos you could post? I have seen a lot of pretty gardens that have arbors which provide some shade. And then there are shade trees which might also be acceptable in this type of garden. But beyond that, I'm not sure what would go in a Decorative Shade Garden. Thanks for the tips!

Reaction score
I think there are gardeners, and there are people who have landscapes. I sometimes yet rarely see a hybrid of the two- what I see as very, very wonderful gardens/landscapes are what I'd consider hybrids of what a gardener does and what someone with a landscape has.

A well-manicured landscape is something that homeowners who take a lot of pride in their homes want and pay money to have and have maintained. It keeps someone like me in business too- as a part time designer. These are the folks that keep the industry chugging along in terms of money, and work. Occasionally you come across and landscape owner who does a lot of their own work and you might find that if you talk to them, they'd tell you that if they weren't so busy with work they'd have more of a garden.

Gardeners typically do it all themselves. They sometimes have many kinds of gardens where they find something like a plant or ornament and tuck it in where ever it'll fit and grow well (hopefully), or are absolutely obsessed with one aspect of gardening of some kind- whether it be color, food, wildlife, a certain plant or collection.

I love both worlds. Like I said, landscape owners keep me in business or are wonderful hard working dreamers, and gardeners are my friends and are always hard working dreamers too- just in different ways.

That's how I've learned to see it anyway.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Cottage garden is superior idea for someone not looking for a designed pattern, there are usually exuberant. To get a cottage garden look avoid planting in a straight line or in any pattern. Plant self-growing seeds that popup in few weeks. Some of the popular flowers for cottage garden include cosmos, snapdragon, columbine etc. You can make cottage garden an outdoor living space by adding some comfy furniture. You can get help from professional Gardener to get things in better ways.
Cottage-Garden.jpg

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Cottage garden is superior idea for someone not looking for a designed pattern, there are usually exuberant. To get a cottage garden look avoid planting in a straight line or in any pattern. Plant self-growing seeds that popup in few weeks. Some of the popular flowers for cottage garden include cosmos, snapdragon, columbine etc. You can make cottage garden an outdoor living space by adding some comfy furniture. You can get help from professional Gardener to get things in better ways.
View attachment 3815

This is super cute! I love the color and I love the roof design. My mother would call this an English Garden because while thematic, it leaves you with a sense that things just grew wild - but we know a garden like that actually takes a lot of work. Thanks for sharing!

Ask a Question