Do you think a garden should be thematic?

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I mostly see garden landscaping designs thematic. What I mean is, they will have either a very sculpted garden; wood chips, well groomed shrubs and trees, annuals planted in a row, or they will have an English type garden with lost of benches, arches, and wild flowers popping up here and there. There are more varieties than this but it seems most people carry on a theme to their gardens. Recently, I saw a virtual garden where one person made the 'Graceland of Gardens'; like Elivs' house that had a theme for every room; this garden had a theme for every patch of land. What do you think? Is it a good idea? Or should a garden's landscaping stick to one theme?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think a person should make their garden look how ever they want it to look. I like the well manicured well placed gardens we see in the pictures, but I also like the wild flower look. The look that someone took a handful of seeds and threw them in the air, when the plants started to grow that would determine the theme.
It really does not matter to me, I like it all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I mostly see garden landscaping designs thematic. What I mean is, they will have either a very sculpted garden; wood chips, well groomed shrubs and trees, annuals planted in a row, or they will have an English type garden with lost of benches, arches, and wild flowers popping up here and there. There are more varieties than this but it seems most people carry on a theme to their gardens. Recently, I saw a virtual garden where one person made the 'Graceland of Gardens'; like Elivs' house that had a theme for every room; this garden had a theme for every patch of land. What do you think? Is it a good idea? Or should a garden's landscaping stick to one theme?
I think that whatever floats your boat is fine, just as long as you are successful doing it. Cucumbers will taste just as good climbing up a string as one climbing an expensive arbor. It seems as though some folks forget about the main reason for growing plants. Its kind of like keeping up with the Jones'es next door or who has the newest car

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I also think your garden should be whatever you want it to be, since it's purpose will be to suit your own individual needs. Garden #2 was being designed to add beauty to a dull space as well as fragrance since the people next door were not cleaning up behind their dogs. It also has plants that are supposed to deter mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Not really. Our garden doesn't have a particular theme. We just plant whatever we want and wherever we want. The landscaped ones are more often than not for hotels and other kinds of establishments.

Reaction score
I love that idea! I love variety and if I had a house big enough to have a big garden... I'd surely pick variety! A theme for each porch, since I like to keep things interesting and settling for a single theme sounds boring... if I ever do that I'd try a new one every 2 years!

Reaction score
Gardening is supposed to be fun and personal, so each gardener should do what feels right to them. The theme of my current "garden" is herbs and aromatics that I can grow in containers to save me a few bucks on produce every month. Outside the apartment is all food plants, inside the apartment are ornamental plants that clean the air.
I didn't set out to have any kind of theme, I just planted what I need and what makes sense for my life.

Reaction score
i don't know about thematic (ok, i'm not even real sure what it means), but i do want a certain feeling. if you youtube the song "dragonfly summer" by michael franks and give it a listen (at work and youtube's blocked, but i'll try to stick it in this post when i get home), i want the feeling of that song transfered to my back yard. that'd be about the best i could decribe it.

Reaction score
I think a person should make their garden look how ever they want it to look. I like the well manicured well placed gardens we see in the pictures, but I also like the wild flower look. The look that someone took a handful of seeds and threw them in the air, when the plants started to grow that would determine the theme.
It really does not matter to me, I like it all.

Love your idea Pat! It's great to plan out your garden carefully, but also embrace its feeling of wildness and have it take on a life of its own don't you think? Although can't help but be a little intrigued about an Elvis themed garden like H.C Heartland mentioned!

GardenSketch App: http://gardensketchapp.com/

To sketch your garden ideas. Free iTunes download till Oct 31st 2014!

Twitter | Facebook | Website

Reaction score
Gardening is supposed to be fun and personal, so each gardener should do what feels right to them. The theme of my current "garden" is herbs and aromatics that I can grow in containers to save me a few bucks on produce every month. Outside the apartment is all food plants, inside the apartment are ornamental plants that clean the air.
I didn't set out to have any kind of theme, I just planted what I need and what makes sense for my life.

Sounds like you put a lot of careful thought into your garden ACSAPA. Herbs and aromatics! What a lovely and delicate little ecosystem. You might like to play with the different layouts that you dream up on the GardenSketch app. It's easy and really visual -- you can make up a few designs all before you get your hands dirty!

GardenSketch App: http://gardensketchapp.com/
Free iTunes download till Oct 31st, 2014: http://gardensketchapp.com/itunesdownload

Twitter | Facebook | Website

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like thematic gardens, but I wouldn't want to have one myself. I know I would get bored with it quickly. What makes me the happiest is planting beautiful plants in random places in my garden. I love how chaotic and eclectic it looks:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like the gardens that are more original in design. When I get my own house and am able to create a big garden, it is going to be totally me. I really like Asian gardens so mine will have lots of stones in it.

Reaction score
I know what you mean about a garden having a theme. In my opinion, I think a garden should represent the person planting and creating it. We are all different and that's what makes gardening so incredible! Who wants to see them all look the same? :( I love the fact that you can see a garden and almost see into the person who created it. :) That's what makes it beautiful! So whether it's themed or it's just a bunch of wildflowers blooming do what's makes you happy !! :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
As we are all have different tastes and I see gardening and having a garden as being something that is both rewarding and pleasurable - I really don't think that it matters what style of garden someone chooses to have - so long as it brings them pleasure - as in reality a garden can be anything that you want it to be - especially as a garden is generally an extension of the imagination and creativity of the person who designed it - which is why I so enjoy looking at other peoples gardens - as they are all unique in their own way :)

Ask a Question