Do you like your home area? Explain!

Reaction score
Country
United States
What I mean is no matter where you live everyone has a liking to the area they garden in or call home. Or they wouldn't be doing it, right? Regardless of the challenging desert conditions, low water, bad irrigation to the over-abundance of everything including forests and tropical forests, rivers, lakes -- there are places we as humans have spread to with agriculture. Others thought some of it even impossible -- onto high mountainsides and even in space! We continue to expand. I'd like to to think I like the biome I live in, a temperature zone with harsh winters but beautiful springs and summers.

I hate the dullness of my area social life wise, but I love the summers and springs here but the humidity is killer. My forests around here are thick in foliage with plenty of different species of trees. Hillsides and valleys are everywhere and the rustic nature of alot of our natural bodies of water, this area is quite rich in nearly everything needed to raise successful gardens.

I have however thought of moving somewhere I can dodge the winter and just keep planting year round though.

Here's a pic of my natural area in the spring:

98473_1020.jpg

Ground view. Aerial view here:

02-Edinboro13_o.jpg

So do you like your areas? Share some photos and let's see what each other deals with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't particularly like my home area because I am wedged in between house. The closest nature part is about 30 minutes drive from me and it costs money to enter. However, I like my little garden area behind my house. It is the spot that I spend most of my outside hours. I love looking up at the sky those when the sun come out to play.
IMG_4206-before the rain.JPG

Reaction score
I don't like my current area, but sadly the place where I'm headed to doesn't offer a better chance for me to plant some edibles, specially fruit trees. Over here you can easily plant a lemon or avocado tree and see it thrive, but the place I'm headed to doesn't allow that. My climate is great, but my area is too small for me to plant anything good! Hence I kept most of my plants potted and have always focused on ornamental :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love where we live, with the exception of the high cost of living. We have roughly two thirds of an acre to play with, which is just about right for what I need. Winters can be a little tough at times, like the past two, but spring, and summer are wonderful here. There are lakes and ponds within walking distance, and the ocean and Long Island sound are just a 15 min.ride away. Our growing season is perfect for just about any veggie you might want to plant, and the soil here is to die for. If you are into fishing, we have that too. Mako's,Tuna, or small mouth Bass, we have it. Large, and small game hunting if that's your thing. Nature trails, parks, and all around friendly people, it's all here.
Sheesh I sound like a vacation brochure!:)

Last edited:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love where I live it is expensive to live here compated to some other places. There is always something interesting to do here if no more than go downtown and which the people. The weather is humid during summer it can get up to 100 degrees at times. The winters are not that bad compared to other places like Boston right now. I can plant most of the items I want to plant which is good. Spring is here by the end of March which is good, my home town does not see Spring until May and winter is setting in at the end of September. I am in the metro Washington DC area in Maryland, that is suppose to be south but it does not feel like it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I love the Texas Hill Country, where I live. It's pretty (even though it could use more rain and then it would be really awesome) and it has lots of wild animals like deer, coyotes, rattle snakes, scorpions...

Social life is great, too. If hubby is not playing a gig, we can always go see one of our friends who is playing one, or even better, we can meet at somebody's house and have a jam session, which I love. Lots of grilling in the backyard, lots of good country music, and really nice people :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I love our little farm! We have enough land without being overwhelmed with "farm chores" and we can garden, have chickens, and keep bees. We are in central Texas (which looks nothing like John Wayne movie Texas). First picture is our backyard flower garden with a path going to the workshop, the next is dawn in summertime, and the third is our back pasture with our pond (locally known as a tank, but it's ours and we call it a pond!backyard garden 1.jpg Dawn 3.jpg Pasture Light 2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live the area I live in because it is full of beautiful plants and wildlife. The town is well kept and I am not far away from hiking and camping destinations. The only things that I don't like is the fact that it is very expensive to live here and it is hard to make friends. People kind of keep to their own here and are not very social outside of their friendship circles. I manage though and find lots of things to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I'm really not sure about being way up here. After spending a very long time in Texas this is really different. That being said... I have over 300 acres to play around in, no neighbors so if I want to play my guitar, it's not a problem. Too many years on the road and my hearings sort of shot so everything is played loud. The hearing thing isn't true :cool: I just like loud stuff I guess. But, I'm going to have to get used to the different growing season and the cold weather. So far I'm not too impressed with the cold and snow but I'll deal with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a love/hate relationship with where I live. We moved here two years ago, so I had to leave my beautiful gardens behind and start over. We moved to a newly constructed home, that had absolutely no landscaping or even a nice yard. Starting over really sucks, but I'm slowly working on it. The builder was nice enough to give me a load of rocks, so I was able to build a couple of small raised beds with stone walls.

073.JPG

But the "love" part comes in with the State Parks here in Tennessee - they are magnificent (and free). There are caves, waterfalls, rivers, canyons, meadows, rock bridges and formations. It is awe-inspiring everywhere we go hiking.

Ozone_Falls.jpg

057.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Everyone's pictures are very nice, but I've always had a soft spot for waterfalls! There's a couple around here, and then Niagara Falls isn't too far away. I also have a similar view to that rock with the water on it here. I'm sure Pridekidd knows what I'm talking about - we both live in the same area, so he knows exactly what this looks like too I'm sure. Everyone's been here, it's a popular tourist spot.

overlook%20map.jpg

3943217442_18795bc983_z.jpg

vfiles13580.jpg

With crevices like this, and a few huge caves:

5108545c90605f1c8ae7d9b6ea7fb5ab.jpg

a20a712bfd1d18c84b72c6e616720009.jpg

I love it for the beauty. I just hate there's no opportunity here and the land is basically dead economically, because the area is so rustic and beautiful I wouldn't even mind raising a family here, if I knew the area could provide for them well. Nature should be taken hand in hand from a young age that way everyone turns into a Green Thumb. Hah. :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Galmal- your home area looks beautiful and clean. I have been to Memphis once and it was not a fun experience for me. I was pregnant with my daughter, it was hot, and a homeless guy decided to throw rocks at me for no apparent reason. I am sure it was just a fluke bad experience.:eek:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure do! That is Kinzua state park. That place is one of the most beautiful landmarks I have ever been to in Pennsylvania. The rocks were especially fun. Hiking and the bridge. Were you old enough to remember when you could walk out on it? I have not been to the park for quite sometime, thanks for the posts, they make me feel young again. lol. :)

Ask a Question