Do you garden with your kids?

Reaction score
When the kids were toddlers we used to let them "help" us in the garden. Being a purely flowers, shrub type garden we would give them a little patch to weed but within a couple of minutes they would be beside one of us wanting to pull out the weed we were pulling out.
Once over that stage though and things like football games consols or barbies became more interesting their "help" quickly wained.

Reaction score
I don't have kids. But, I used to garden with my parents. We had a vegetable garden and I would weed and loved to drop the seeds into the ground. I loved the harvest the most and my little fingers were good at getting at the low branches or vines that were the perfect height for me! It was a lot of fun. I also enjoyed helping my mom with her flower beds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't have children yet. If I did, I would definitely encourage them to try gardening. It's so much fun and in my opinion it's a perfect activity for children, they should spend as much time outside the house as possible. For sure gardening is much better than watching TV or playing video games:)

Reaction score
Wow. I knew children benefit from gardening but your article brings up points I never considered. Bringing math into it?! Brilliant! Of course we eat from the garden, but I didn't consider a garden topping pizza, either. Any excuse to get them away from mindless video games is a great thing, in my book. It may take a bit of patient on the adult's part because it may take a bit more time and effort, but it's absolutely worth it.

Reaction score
Great article! I've never do gardening with my kid yet because he is too small. But I will implement this activity when my kid is ready. It certainly provides a good educational value to kids.

Reaction score
Your article is a great read and your family is precious! The kids seem very happy with their harvest!

My kids love to garden with me and I love that they love to help. My youngest, age 3. even likes to sing to them. (So Cute!!) :D We haven't harvested yet but we cannot wait!

Reaction score
Great Article, I "liked it" . I garden with my children because it's a education they won't get from school. Today's children need to know about how to sustain themselves and about GMO's. Co-gardening helps build a healthy relationship between parents and children. Truthfully, I think my kids garden with me to "appease" me it's not really their thing. But, they will probably understand better when they are adults. I gardened with my grandmother and she saw it as a basic necessity, but now that I am older I appreciate her for teaching me organic growing techniques.

Reaction score
My kids are all grown now and no longer live at home, but when they were little, yes they helped! When we had a vegetable garden they were part of the planning, planting, maintenance and harvesting. I have a video of my youngest son, then aged two, husking an ear of corn ....one leaf at a time. He loved it! He was the one who took to gardening the most, and over the years he always was with me to purchase my annual flowers for the year. I have cosmos growing all around my house now from him planting six plants one year. For a scout family project one year we built, filled and planted a raised bed by our shed. Oh, and then there was the year after he'd planted six grape tomato bushes along the side of the house....when I had grape tomato plants galore, and WAY more tomatoes than we could eat.

Man, if you're NOT gardening with your kids, give it a go...it's FUN!

Reaction score
Our kids garden with us and they love it. We have a great garden tool that is just right for little hands and is just children. "Little Green Fingers Gardening Set", is just the right size for kids and lets them help in the garden with their very own tool set! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4JV9NQ Kids gardening is great for children’s development. We also find that the more time our children spend outdoors the better they eat, sleep and getting fresh air and sunshine is another bonus.

I do agree that gardening is educational for kids and it allows you to teach sustainability, where food comes from and an appreciation for the environment. Great article about the benefits of gardening with kids.

We have found that gardening has helped our girls confidence. We have written about it on our blog - http://happycaterpillar.com.au/5-ways-that-i-helped-my-children-quickly-gain-confidence/.

I hope your readers will have a look at our wonderful garden tool set for kids and that your children plant some wonderful things in your garden. Enjoy. Suzanne from Happy Caterpillar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Well,I don't have kids cause I'm still a kid. :p Okay,I am just 16 :p but my dad gardens with me if that counts. :) And yeah, it's a lot more fun with him than me alone.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I don't have any children, but I think when I do, I would love to garden with them. I think it's a great learning experience, plus it's good for kids nowadays to get outside and do something productive rather than spending all of their time on the computer.

Ask a Question