Giving kids their own garden

Reaction score
I plan to give each on my kids their own section in the vegetable garden to grow whatever vegetables that they want. Since this will be the first time they have ever done this on their own, how much space would be good to give them? I think that it is important that they learn how to do this when they are young and it will give us a project when they are not in school.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think that's a great idea CountryQueen! Depends how much space you've got available and how old your kids are, but I'd say up to 4ft by 3ft would be a good size.

Reaction score
I have five that range from 7-16. I have plenty of space for them to have gardens that size! Not only will this help cut out grocery bill, but it will help to teach them responsibility and give them something to help keep them out of trouble.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Excellent idea, that is how I learned to garden, my school made each of us grow a plant in the space provided, it taught all the kids how to start the garden and take care of each. The space was small enough to not be over whelming for a child but large enough to grow two or three different plants.

Goes back to "give a man a fish he will eat one day teach a man to fish he will eat for a life time."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I remember making my first garden. It was my idea and small. More like a play garden. Let them choose the size. Mom took me to buy seeds. My choice. I remember I kept unearthing the potatoes and corn seeds to see if they had sprouted. Let them choose what they want to grow and take care of. It might just be strawberries, or it could be a variety. Don't have any expectations. You want them to have the joy of "their garden" and create the curiosity that will last and make them 'want' to garden. Celebrate each step in the creation and gardening

Reaction score
I think it depends on what they want to grow. It would be not only a gardening learning experience but a math experience if you show them the seed packs or look up the space requitements and let them "help you" figure out how much space each will need based on the spacing of the plants.

I think it is a great idea.

Ask a Question