Do You Eat Banana Peels?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bought one for lunch, 14p for 0.68kg

Thought that was a good price :)
Don't know what a p is but last year bananas were $.29 per pound. Now they are $.63. I just don't like to get ripped off so I am on a banana strike

Reaction score
I thought this was disgusting in taste also. I was once on a food forum, and a lady said she ate the peeling too . I just thought that was truly nasty. I think the compost idea is great, because they are good in food for plants. And I LOVE the monkey idea too. They peel them, duh, how good an answer is that? Good enough for this monkey too. lol :)

Reaction score
This is my first time to hear about drinking banana peel mixture. I'm not so sure I would be very keen to do it, though.

What I knew is that you can actually use banana peel for the face. Just rub the inner part of the peel onto your face and leave it on for about 15 minutes. I did it before and I noticed that my pimples actually dried up as well as some of the other marks on my face.

If Dr. Oz said that it may be good, maybe it's worth a try. I don't think they will show it on TV anyway if it's not correct.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know what a p is but last year bananas were $.29 per pound. Now they are $.63. I just don't like to get ripped off so I am on a banana strike

24 cents - 1.5lb :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have never ever heard of anyone eating a banana peel, but i have read about how wonderful the peels are for our plants and bushes, so that is what i do with my banana peels. Sometimes, I put them in the blender with some water and maybe some greens that are starting to be wilted, blend all that up with some water, and then put it under the roses and tomato plants.
Some days, i am in a hurry, and just throw the peels under the azaleas, and that seems to work fine, too.
Kroger sells the riper bananas for half price, and i always buy those when they have them out. We eat the ones that are still in good shape, and the ones with lots of brown speckles, I slice up, put in a freezer bag and freeze them; and those are the ones i use when I make smoothies to drink. The extra ripeness is great in a smoothie, and the mushiness is not problem, since they are being blended into a drink anyway, and they chill out the smoothie with out needing as much ice cubes.
When I have strawberries, I do the same with those, or any other extra fruit that I want to use in a smoothie.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Someone is getting rich over here and it ain't me. This just ain't right

Bought a bigger one today, 16p :D

Your petrol is cheaper than ours though, $9.82 a gallon:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bought a bigger one today, 16p :D

Your petrol is cheaper than ours though, $9.82 a gallon:eek:
Petrol here is $3.69 today and that includes a $.38 federal tax. It makes me wonder if the government is secretly taxing bananas too. I wonder why your bananas are so much cheaper than ours when the big banana plantations are only about 800 miles away from here. I smell something rotten. Perhaps it is a mountain of rotten bananas stored someplace to jack up the price

Reaction score
I don't find banana peels appetizing and boiled bananas sound nasty to me, but here's a graphic I found online that shows a few uses for banana peels.

4701339fc4557b1888a9cb7a5815336a.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@Chuck Probably some trade deal with the EU. Blimey that's cheap petrol :eek:

@ACSAPA Gonna try the wart one, but not the Hemohroids one :D

Reaction score
@Chuck Probably some trade deal with the EU. Blimey that's cheap petrol :eek:

@ACSAPA Gonna try the wart one, but not the Hemohroids one :D

There should be a warning with the hemorrhoids one because there will probably be at least one stupid person that tries to cram the entire banana up there. That's why 30 gallon plastic storage tubs have warnings that say "Do not put small children in this container."

Reaction score
Here's another one. Apparently banana peels can keep roasted chicken from drying out. Who knew there were so many uses for the peels?

fe6fdbfe88cbe05668c766a3cf557caf.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There should be a warning with the hemorrhoids one because there will probably be at least one stupid person that tries to cram the entire banana up there. That's why 30 gallon plastic storage tubs have warnings that say "Do not put small children in this container."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ew gross, I would never eat the peel and I also think the monkeys are smart for peeling theirs. I even hate the stringy pieces that sometimes stick when you peel the banana. I take extra measures to make sure my banana is clean before I even take a bite.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When they feed bananas to primates in the zoo have you ever seen a monkey eat the peel? I haven't. Perhaps they have more sense than humans

I have never given that a thought, something to think about.

Ask a Question