Do You Eat Banana Peels?

Reaction score
Yikes, no! I don't like to eat the peel of most fruits because of my fear to pesticides! I always try to wash a fruit well if there is no other choice but eating the peel as well, but if I don't have to eat it then I don't.

Reaction score
This topic was so interested that i had to research it and from what i learnt some persons do eat the banana peel. My findings are posted below; being on this forum is like back in the classroom, there is just so much to learn here.

How to Use Banana Peels
Edited by Broommeister Pickles, Carolyn Barratt, RavenBell, Jordan and 8 others

Banana peels are as useful as the banana. They contain antifungal, antibiotic and enzymatic properties that can be put to good use. Plus they're moist and they're nutritious.

# Use them to polish your shoes. Rub the peel over your shoes. They'll also polish your silverware.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 1.jpg|center|550px]]
# Feed them to your worm farm. Worms love them.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 2.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use them to fertilize plants. Place peel in a large jar, cover with water and water plants. Keep adding water to maintain the fertilizer.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 3.jpg|center|550px]]
# Rub them over your teeth to whiten them. Use the white side on your teeth.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 4.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use them to make a face mask. Banana peel contains enzymes to help condition your skin.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 5.jpg|center|550px]]
# Chop them into small pieces and stick under rosebushes as an aphid deterrent. Dead or dried peels can also be used.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 6.jpg|center|550px]]
# Place banana peels over your mosquito or ant bites, small scratches or poison ivy rash. The pain will be eased.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 7.jpg|center|550px]]
# Eat them. They can be eaten raw or cooked; look for Asian or Indian recipes.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 8.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use them to attract butterflies to your garden. Include small pieces of banana sitting along the peel.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 9.jpg|center|550px]]
# Wear peel over a wart until the wart drops off, yellow side on the wart. Change peel pieces regularly. Use duct tape to keep in place.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 10.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use the peel to remove a splinter. Tape it over the splinter; the enzymes will shift the splinter.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 11.jpg|center|550px]]
# Polish house plant leaves with the peel. Use the pith side.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 12.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use them to catch coddling moths. Add pieces to the trap to attract them.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 13.jpg|center|550px]]
# Place over chicken breast to keep tender during cooking.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 14.jpg|center|550px]]
# Compost them. They are good for compost material.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 15.jpg|center|550px]]
# Make vinegar from the peels.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 16.jpg|center|550px]]
# Get rid of acne using banana peels. Rub your acne with the white side. Leave it on your face and don't wash off the rubbed on pith.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 17.jpg|center|550px]]
#Finished.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Intr

Reaction score
Never heard of that either but you could probably juice the peel along with the banana...maybe after you boil it? The peelings of other fruits and vegetables are supposed to be good, and who can question Dr Oz?? Haha

Yikes! Wouldn't eat that even deep-fried, lol! Ugh, can't imagine who would eat that boiled, it sounds so gross, the only time I'd think about eating something like that would be if there wasn't enough food and I desperately needed the nutrients and pesticide residues on those peels, lol.

Reaction score
This topic was so interested that i had to research it and from what i learnt some persons do eat the banana peel. My findings are posted below; being on this forum is like back in the classroom, there is just so much to learn here.

How to Use Banana Peels
Edited by Broommeister Pickles, Carolyn Barratt, RavenBell, Jordan and 8 others

Banana peels are as useful as the banana. They contain antifungal, antibiotic and enzymatic properties that can be put to good use. Plus they're moist and they're nutritious.

# Use them to polish your shoes. Rub the peel over your shoes. They'll also polish your silverware.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 1.jpg|center|550px]]
# Feed them to your worm farm. Worms love them.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 2.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use them to fertilize plants. Place peel in a large jar, cover with water and water plants. Keep adding water to maintain the fertilizer.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 3.jpg|center|550px]]
# Rub them over your teeth to whiten them. Use the white side on your teeth.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 4.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use them to make a face mask. Banana peel contains enzymes to help condition your skin.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 5.jpg|center|550px]]
# Chop them into small pieces and stick under rosebushes as an aphid deterrent. Dead or dried peels can also be used.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 6.jpg|center|550px]]
# Place banana peels over your mosquito or ant bites, small scratches or poison ivy rash. The pain will be eased.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 7.jpg|center|550px]]
# Eat them. They can be eaten raw or cooked; look for Asian or Indian recipes.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 8.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use them to attract butterflies to your garden. Include small pieces of banana sitting along the peel.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 9.jpg|center|550px]]
# Wear peel over a wart until the wart drops off, yellow side on the wart. Change peel pieces regularly. Use duct tape to keep in place.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 10.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use the peel to remove a splinter. Tape it over the splinter; the enzymes will shift the splinter.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 11.jpg|center|550px]]
# Polish house plant leaves with the peel. Use the pith side.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 12.jpg|center|550px]]
# Use them to catch coddling moths. Add pieces to the trap to attract them.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 13.jpg|center|550px]]
# Place over chicken breast to keep tender during cooking.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 14.jpg|center|550px]]
# Compost them. They are good for compost material.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 15.jpg|center|550px]]
# Make vinegar from the peels.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 16.jpg|center|550px]]
# Get rid of acne using banana peels. Rub your acne with the white side. Leave it on your face and don't wash off the rubbed on pith.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Step 17.jpg|center|550px]]
#Finished.<br><br>[[Image:Use Banana Peels Intr

Woah... I had no idea you could give so many uses to banana peels! I'll surely try using some peels when I get a spotty face, let's see if that really works! Good to know they eat them in Asia, I think I had heard about that before, but never paid a lot attention to it.

Reaction score
Wow amazing I have never heard of that before. I do know that Dr.oz does give some pretty good tips though.

Reaction score
Yeah tell me about; been here is like attending the university, there is just so much knowledge to gain.

Reaction score
Well I know people dry out the peels and then scrap the extract off the peels to smoke, but I have never heard of people eating the peels. I mean as a child, I tried it, and it tasted bitter. I think I would just get pills to fulfill that part of my diet, because I know Dr Oz has some good tips, but hes not always right.

Reaction score
Interesting! I don't think I'd ever eat it, but I do like the other ideas for how to use them and might try some of them out :)

Reaction score
When they feed bananas to primates in the zoo have you ever seen a monkey eat the peel? I haven't. Perhaps they have more sense than humans
I'm pretty sure a lot of animals have more sense than humans. We're just smart at killing them and making money off of them. lol

Reaction score
Ive never heard of anything like that. I don't think a banana peel would be all that good going down the hatch though. We'll see what happens.

Ask a Question