Do You Eat Banana Peels?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
A recent Dr. Oz show suggested eating the banana peel as well as the banana to help add magnesium to the body which would help you sleep better. This sounds strange but the good Dr. says to boil the banana with the peel on for about 10 minutes, slice the banana sprinkle with cinnamon and you have a treat that is good for your body.

I have to purchase some bananas so that I can give this a try as I do have problems sleeping. Any here ever hear of eating the banana peel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A recent Dr. Oz show suggested eating the banana peel as well as the banana to help add magnesium to the body which would help you sleep better. This sounds strange but the good Dr. says to boil the banana with the peel on for about 10 minutes, slice the banana sprinkle with cinnamon and you have a treat that is good for your body.

I have to purchase some bananas so that I can give this a try as I do have problems sleeping. Any here ever hear of eating the banana peel?
When they feed bananas to primates in the zoo have you ever seen a monkey eat the peel? I haven't. Perhaps they have more sense than humans

Reaction score
I have never heard of this method. The first thing that came to mind after reading your title was, "You can eat that?" I agree with @Chuck . Even monkeys do not eat that part and our teacher never mentioned eating that when we had our Botany course. I think it is better if we follow the monkeys' example.

I suggest drinking chamomile tea or warm milk to help you sleep. You can also try relaxing yourself or taking a nice long bath.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried this method, I don't think it's healthy. Bananas are treated with harmful chemicals and I'm pretty sure that their peels contain pesticides.
The best source of magnesium is dark chocolate:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No, I put them round the plants as a feed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, I put them round the plants as a feed.
I put mine in the compost pile when I can afford them. Not only have they doubled in price they are already ripe and do not keep more than a day or two. I like to buy them semi-green and eat them as they ripen, not already turning brown and soft

Reaction score
There are other ways to get the benefits of the nutrients in the peel of a banana and I will stick to alternative sources. I thought this post was going to be about Bananadine powder which is an hallucinogen extracted from the peels. The peels may help you sleep but you may have some pretty wild dreams. Unfortunately, this is an urban legend and the powder is only reported to exist and doesn't in reality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are other ways to get the benefits of the nutrients in the peel of a banana and I will stick to alternative sources. I thought this post was going to be about Bananadine powder which is an hallucinogen extracted from the peels. The peels may help you sleep but you may have some pretty wild dreams. Unfortunately, this is an urban legend and the powder is only reported to exist and doesn't in reality.
Uh Oh. I am getting old. I might need some of that Bananadine stuff. Can I grill some peels?

Reaction score

Never heard of that either but you could probably juice the peel along with the banana...maybe after you boil it? The peelings of other fruits and vegetables are supposed to be good, and who can question Dr Oz?? Haha

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I put mine in the compost pile when I can afford them. Not only have they doubled in price they are already ripe and do not keep more than a day or two. I like to buy them semi-green and eat them as they ripen, not already turning brown and soft
We got all the green ones over here in the uk, they're about 11p each on average :)

Reaction score
Although I eat a lot of bananas I have to say that - not once have I ever been tempted to eat the skins and nor do I think I ever will be - as I can think of many - far more pleasant ways of getting the right amount of magnesium - without having to go through the unpleasant experience of trying to devour a boiled banana sprinkled with cinnamon and have to say - that if eating banana skins was actually good for us - why didn't our ancestors do it - because if they did - I'm sure that we would all find loads of recipe books bulging with ideas for how to turn banana skins into a delectable treat o_O

Reaction score
Although I eat a lot of bananas I have to say that - not once have I ever been tempted to eat the skins and nor do I think I ever will be - as I can think of many - far more pleasant ways of getting the right amount of magnesium - without having to go through the unpleasant experience of trying to devour a boiled banana sprinkled with cinnamon and have to say - that if eating banana skins was actually good for us - why didn't our ancestors do it - because if they did - I'm sure that we would all find loads of recipe books bulging with ideas for how to turn banana skins into a delectable treat o_O

Maybe because all the sugar is in the inside and that's what we crave? Haha who knows.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bought one for lunch, 14p for 0.68kg

Thought that was a good price :)

Ask a Question