Do You Cover Your Plants During a Cold Hard Freeze?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I live in the desert southwest where it's mild during the winter months, but we do have some below freezing temperatures in December and January at night. The weather forecasts will warn to cover your delicate plants because they might freeze and die. When I first moved out here, most everything in my front and back yards were very well established and I didn't feel the need to cover anything. But, as I walked around my neighborhood, I saw trees that had a large sheet over them to protect from freezing temperatures.

One tip I learned about to keep the roots from freezing at night is to water the soil.

When to Water Plants Before a Freeze:
http://www.todayshomeowner.com/when-to-water-plants-before-a-freeze/

Follow these guidelines when watering plants in freezing weather:

* If your soil stays frozen all winter, then fall is your prime time – make sure everything is well watered before the ground freezes.
* If you experience freezing weather only occasionally, and you have had insufficient rain or snowfall, water deeply a day or so before a freeze is forecast. Be sure to water the entire root system – a good rule of thumb is to water an area the size of the plant’s drip line.
* Be extra attentive to newly planted trees and shrubs. Not only are their roots less established, but the churned-up soil can allow cold air to penetrate deeper to the roots.
* Water when the air temperature is above 40° F, and don’t water if there’s snow or ice on the ground.
* Water early in the day, so the plants have time to absorb it before the temperature drops at night.

So, what do you do when the temps drop below freezing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
do you mean like this... photo from 11/26/15 this morning was 26 and today was 51....everyone a happy camper...
DSC_0005.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, exactly! Using those heavy cement blocks is a great idea to keep the covers in place if it's windy. Here's a picture of a home in Phoenix, AZ that covers their plants to protect from frost. Looks like a group of ghosts!

Attachments

• frost-protection01_1500.jpg
    frost-protection01_1500.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 305
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I haven't previously done that, although I know it's something I should do. The last time I was living in a super cold climate was when I was fairly new to the gardening world, and lets just say my plants didn't fare so well! Next time I'm living somewhere that the conditions mean below freezing temperatures then for sure I'll be taking this approach.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't protect anything from freeze or frost. It may be different from the plants that grow in the desert climate compared to here, but around here it's part of the cycle. Perennials will disappear for the winter and come back healthy in Spring. Annuals will die off and their seeds will turn into new plants. I never need to protect anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Like Ferndaddy, I live in a colder part of the US. All my plantings are chosen for that zone. So no cover is ever necessary. In fact they seem to do very well after a winter of buried under 45 inches of snow. The only issue if there is a chilly rain then an immediate cold snap that ices up the rain on branches making it heavy for the branches. During one of those situations I did have damage to my Mock Cherry tree, who's branches cracked with the weight, although it survived, but some branches had to be trimmed off, screwing up the look of the tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I cover the pots that my miniature roses grow in with thick fabric and cotton wool. It probably doesn't help much, but so far most of my roses have been doing great:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also plant for the zone that I live in and do not worry about the plants freezing. My house plants I do bring inside once it gets cold outside to protect the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't cover any of my plants and I live in Michigan. The winter here is brutal, but the plants are used to it. They might die early when winter comes but also sprout back to life in Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
My Plumerias and Pride of Madera have been covered these past few days as we have been having frost in the mornings. Typically it's never so bad the the citrus needs protecting and all the other plants are frost tolerant.

Reaction score
I used to cover my beautiful calla lilies during the winter (my most loved possession) until my mom threw them away :( I used to bring them in during the winter, but as a result they never bloomed. They started blooming after I started leaving them outside during the winter, I had to cover them, of course.

Ask a Question