Do these habaneros look healthy? Would appreciate help :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11A
Country
Spain
Hi, I have some habanero plants in a pot, I would like to know if they seem healthy or lacking in water and/or nutrients. They are planted in regular soil and I have already harvested a couple of them. 8 babies are on the way as well. I'm not sure which variety of habaneros they are, but my concern is they are getting reddish brown areas when growing and I'm not sure if they are maturing or some kind of disease or lack of nutrients. The skin feels stiff in all areas including the brown ones so they might be chocolate habaneros but I'm not really sure. Also, I think the plant is too yellow, should it be much more greener or is this normal?
IMG_20180903_171833.jpg IMG_20180903_171817.jpg
IMG_20180903_171833.jpg
IMG_20180903_171850.jpg
IMG_20180903_171817.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I have some habanero plants in a pot, I would like to know if they seem healthy or lacking in water and/or nutrients. They are planted in regular soil and I have already harvested a couple of them. 8 babies are on the way as well. I'm not sure which variety of habaneros they are, but my concern is they are getting reddish brown areas when growing and I'm not sure if they are maturing or some kind of disease or lack of nutrients. The skin feels stiff in all areas including the brown ones so they might be chocolate habaneros but I'm not really sure. Also, I think the plant is too yellow, should it be much more greener or is this normal?
View attachment 43703 View attachment 43702 View attachment 43703 View attachment 43704 View attachment 43702
They look extremely chlorotic. They are suffering from either a nitrogen or iron deficiency, probably nitrogen. FWIW ho do you know that they are habaneros?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11A
Country
Spain
They look extremely chlorotic. They are suffering from either a nitrogen or iron deficiency, probably nitrogen. FWIW ho do you know that they are habaneros?
I bought them as plants, however the variety was not specified. Which fertilizer should I use?, Do you think the peppers look okay for consuming?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought them as plants, however the variety was not specified. Which fertilizer should I use?, Do you think the peppers look okay for consuming?
I don't know what types of fertilizers you have in Spain. Organic would be best but any balanced fertilizer will work. Try to get one with an NPK of around 10-10-10. There is nothing wrong with the peppers. I would wait until they are ripe before picking though. Once you fertilize them you should see results in about 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11A
Country
Spain
I don't know what types of fertilizers you have in Spain. Organic would be best but any balanced fertilizer will work. Try to get one with an NPK of around 10-10-10. There is nothing wrong with the peppers. I would wait until they are ripe before picking though. Once you fertilize them you should see results in about 2 weeks.
Thanks!
I've thrown in some coffee grounds at the moment to add nitrogen, until I find a good fertilizer. So the peppers are not brown due to the plant's lack of nitrogen? Does it mean theh might be chocolate habaneros?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks!
I've thrown in some coffee grounds at the moment to add nitrogen, until I find a good fertilizer. So the peppers are not brown due to the plant's lack of nitrogen? Does it mean theh might be chocolate habaneros?
Yes. probably a chocolate or a purple colored pepper. But don't be surprised if they aren't habaneros.

Ask a Question