Do I need to transplant these habaneros?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I started with 4 plants. After a little hardening off on the patio, 2 went straight into the ground and these two went in these pots. The ones in the ground are not doing well, but the ones in pots are. My question is basically, is it too late to transplant and is it necessary to transplant? In other words, are the pots big enough. The plants look like they're starting to bud. The pots are about 10 inches in diameter and 6-7 inches deep.
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN0029.JPG
    DSCN0029.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've transplanted many plants ready to bud or already flowering, since mostly my veggie plants I buy as starters from a local nursery. So I'm going to say you are good to go.

OK wait I am changing tack mid-post lol. I just re-read your question. Not sure why your container peppers are doing better, maybe the soil? I do not think those small pots will sustain a good harvest though. My experience with peppers of any sort is they need a fairly insane amount of dry heat and sun to do well. We get neither in Michigan, so I've given up on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I've transplanted many plants ready to bud or already flowering, since mostly my veggie plants I buy as starters from a local nursery. So I'm going to say you are good to go.

OK wait I am changing tack mid-post lol. I just re-read your question. Not sure why your container peppers are doing better, maybe the soil? I do not think those small pots will sustain a good harvest though. My experience with peppers of any sort is they need a fairly insane amount of dry heat and sun to do well. We get neither in Michigan, so I've given up on them.

The potting mix is definitely better soil. But some of my plants in the ground are doing quite well, so the soil isn't TOO bad. But I agree that these pots aren't big enough for a good harvest. As for dry heat, we've been getting plenty of that for nearly a month now. One problem we had though, was a May that was unusually cold and wet until the last week or so of the month.

Ask a Question