DIY Terrariums

Reaction score
I recently bought some glass jars from Goodwill and filled them with small succulents and ferns. I think they look very nice and can really brighten up a room. I collected seashells while I was on vacation and put them in there as well. I know these can be created in many different ways with different types of plants and containers.

I put sand and gravel on the bottom of the jars before adding the soil as to hopefully provide a little bit more drainage for the plants.

Has anyone here made anything like this before?

Attachments

• terrarium.JPG
    terrarium.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 484
  • terrarium1.JPG
    terrarium1.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 535
Reaction score
Wow! Your work looks so pretty and creative! I hope your plants will do well!
I have never attempted anything like this before, simply because I mostly lived in the country and had trouble keeping the fauna outdoors. Bushes and trees would literally grow across my veranda, while other plants tried to shoot through the wooden floor boards.
When I look at the glass, I guess, I would be concerned about it not getting too hot and drying out the soil, making your plants suffer.
I also wonder about the drainage aspect? How does that work?

Reaction score
Oh my! Your terrariums are soooooo pretty! I haven't done this yet, but I have created several posts on this subject! I think those terrariums make a great gift for those who are interested in crafting and working with this kind of things (my future mother in law is). I will definitely try this in the future :) Thanks for sharing with us! I only have have no troubles finding nice glass containers for my terrariums in the Netherlands :)

Reaction score
When I look at the glass, I guess, I would be concerned about it not getting too hot and drying out the soil, making your plants suffer.
I also wonder about the drainage aspect? How does that work?

Since I have planted succulents in these glass jars, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the drainage. I do have rocks at the bottom of the jar, below the dirt. Some water will drain down into the rocks if you water them too much. But since succulents don't need much water and like lots of light, they are all still happy and healthy 10 months later :)

Ask a Question