DIY Greenhouse??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've experimented in the past with a basic small hoop greenhouse, but it wasn't very convenient for watering the plants. This year I decided to rip out the entire garden and rebuild everything.

My garden plot is an L shape in the corner of the yard. Each leg extends about 20' from the fence line and is 4' wide. Originally I had broken this up into 8' plots so I had some walkways, but this turned out to be more hassle than helpful. The individual plots were just too small to get a tiller into, so I turned everything by hand and it's never gotten mixed very well in the past 15 years. This year I pulled out all the rotting landscaping timbers and transferred the entire plot into one continuous section. Instead of having a hard corner, I cut the center at 45-degree angles so I can walk the tiller through easier. Also the back corner of the fence now has a lot of space to set up a 55-gal composting bin! The entire plot was bordered with 2x8 redwood, and because of the new planned greenhouse, I made sure to level out the redwood as a guide for everything else. I've had trouble in the past with the English ivy growing underneath the old landscape timbers, so I'm hoping that because the new framework is redwood, and that it goes deeper in the ground, this will stop the intrusions. (Growing over the TOP of the frame is ok, I can rip those vines out easily!)

So now that the garden patch itself has been rebuilt, I've started working on the new greenhouse. This one will be a full walk-in style built from 1" PVC pipe. The structure will be 6' wide (15" past the garden towards the fence, and 9" towards the yard). My neighbors have huge bushes growing up against the fence, about 8' tall -- not good for my garden getting sunlight these days, but very helpful in providing shelter for the greenhouse. So the idea is that the back side of the greenhouse, along the fence, will become the walkway during the off-season, and the plants will be grown on shelves at the front side, where the sun will more easily reach. Because the greenhouse is expected to be taken down during the Summer months, I needed a way to anchor the poles without making them permanent. What I am doing is using 12" lengths of 1.25" sched40 (thickwall) PVC pipe, drilling a hold 1.5" from the end, and putting a short piece of rebar through the pipe. The rebar end then gets buried in the ground, and the top of the pipe is leveled with the top of the redwood frame (which is why I had to level out the whole garden plot above). This gives be anchored pockets that I can drop the greenhouse vertical poles into, and if I have any trouble with the wind I can drill the pipes to pin them to the ground anchors. It's a LOT of prep work to get everything in place, but once its done it should make setting up the greenhouse go really fast. Unfortunately I need to get these anchors completed before I plant my garden, so I don't trample any new plants.

The greenhouse itself should be fairly straightforward. I'm using 1" pipe at 3-foot intervals for the sides. I'm still debating how I will lay out the roof -- the 45-degree bend in the middle will make it difficult to get a smooth line of pipe through. I'm thinking of using 1/2" PVC every 2 feet, and instead of using regular elbows and fittings, instead I would drill 5/8" holes in the 1" horizontal walls and simply set the roof pipes in place (letting the plastic cover hold it down). Once I have the walls in place, I'll come back to that. For shelving, I'm just going to continue using the PVC, and add fittings right on the walls. Then I can lay plywood across the PCV framework, or maybe find some open grating to use so that water spills just drain into the ground. The idea is to get plants started on the shelves, and then the bigger stuff like tomatoes I can transfer straight into the ground underneath the shelves. More importantly, I can extend the END of the growing season significantly... We usually get one crazy frost for a couple days in October, then it's warm again for another month beyond that. If I can protect my tomatoes from the frost, I'll get a lot more from the plants.

Lots of work still, but I think this will be a really nice setup once I'm finished.

Reaction score
Country
China
Great ideas,DIY for your own green house,I had a idea for you,used the aluminum frame,It's easy than wooden:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good ideas to make your own greenhouse. I hope to have a greenhouse that will be more of a sunrrom and extension on the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I've experimented in the past with a basic small hoop greenhouse, but it wasn't very convenient for watering the plants. This year I decided to rip out the entire garden and rebuild everything.

My garden plot is an L shape in the corner of the yard. Each leg extends about 20' from the fence line and is 4' wide. Originally I had broken this up into 8' plots so I had some walkways, but this turned out to be more hassle than helpful. The individual plots were just too small to get a tiller into, so I turned everything by hand and it's never gotten mixed very well in the past 15 years. This year I pulled out all the rotting landscaping timbers and transferred the entire plot into one continuous section. Instead of having a hard corner, I cut the center at 45-degree angles so I can walk the tiller through easier. Also the back corner of the fence now has a lot of space to set up a 55-gal composting bin! The entire plot was bordered with 2x8 redwood, and because of the new planned greenhouse, I made sure to level out the redwood as a guide for everything else. I've had trouble in the past with the English ivy growing underneath the old landscape timbers, so I'm hoping that because the new framework is redwood, and that it goes deeper in the ground, this will stop the intrusions. (Growing over the TOP of the frame is ok, I can rip those vines out easily!)

So now that the garden patch itself has been rebuilt, I've started working on the new greenhouse. This one will be a full walk-in style built from 1" PVC pipe. The structure will be 6' wide (15" past the garden towards the fence, and 9" towards the yard). My neighbors have huge bushes growing up against the fence, about 8' tall -- not good for my garden getting sunlight these days, but very helpful in providing shelter for the greenhouse. So the idea is that the back side of the greenhouse, along the fence, will become the walkway during the off-season, and the plants will be grown on shelves at the front side, where the sun will more easily reach. Because the greenhouse is expected to be taken down during the Summer months, I needed a way to anchor the poles without making them permanent. What I am doing is using 12" lengths of 1.25" sched40 (thickwall) PVC pipe, drilling a hold 1.5" from the end, and putting a short piece of rebar through the pipe. The rebar end then gets buried in the ground, and the top of the pipe is leveled with the top of the redwood frame (which is why I had to level out the whole garden plot above). This gives be anchored pockets that I can drop the greenhouse vertical poles into, and if I have any trouble with the wind I can drill the pipes to pin them to the ground anchors. It's a LOT of prep work to get everything in place, but once its done it should make setting up the greenhouse go really fast. Unfortunately I need to get these anchors completed before I plant my garden, so I don't trample any new plants.

The greenhouse itself should be fairly straightforward. I'm using 1" pipe at 3-foot intervals for the sides. I'm still debating how I will lay out the roof -- the 45-degree bend in the middle will make it difficult to get a smooth line of pipe through. I'm thinking of using 1/2" PVC every 2 feet, and instead of using regular elbows and fittings, instead I would drill 5/8" holes in the 1" horizontal walls and simply set the roof pipes in place (letting the plastic cover hold it down). Once I have the walls in place, I'll come back to that. For shelving, I'm just going to continue using the PVC, and add fittings right on the walls. Then I can lay plywood across the PCV framework, or maybe find some open grating to use so that water spills just drain into the ground. The idea is to get plants started on the shelves, and then the bigger stuff like tomatoes I can transfer straight into the ground underneath the shelves. More importantly, I can extend the END of the growing season significantly... We usually get one crazy frost for a couple days in October, then it's warm again for another month beyond that. If I can protect my tomatoes from the frost, I'll get a lot more from the plants.

Lots of work still, but I think this will be a really nice setup once I'm finished.

The shelves could end up being pretty heavy. You might want to consider spacing the depth to match the plastic coated wire shelving like the ones sold at home depot? They are fairly cheap, light, strong and water would simply flow through them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm considering to build my own green house. I'd been investigating and they are really expensive with the exceptions of a few kits that are available for a couple of hundreds. I watched a lot of YOUTUBE videos about making it yourself and it's really easy, with a few connectors and PVC pipe one can build a decent greenhouse.

So I'm planing to build one with one inch PVC pipe (about 5ft x 10ft). I choose the 10ft length because PVC pipes are sold in 10ft length. THe greenhouse plastic can be bought by rolls at any gardeners supplier. The cost of a greenhouse that size will be less than $200 if you do it yourself. Anyone here have done one?

By the way, I'm in zone 7.
Thanks

I always build my own and just recover each spring with regular semi-clear plastic. This is the past one I used, but did a redesign this year. I will get photos of the new one tonight so you can see the difference. Cost is never over $200

Attachments

• greenhouse 2012.jpg
    greenhouse 2012.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 504
Reaction score
Country
United States
I always build my own and just recover each spring with regular semi-clear plastic. This is the past one I used, but did a redesign this year. I will get photos of the new one tonight so you can see the difference. Cost is never over $200
We do the 3/4 PVC hoop top. I do recommend priming the PVC as it will rot the plastic if not done. PVC has a chlorine additive and rots plastic within 2 months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Some years ago, my husband attended a seminar on vegetable gardening with focus on lettuce. Inside a green house, lettuce can be grown in any season and can be harvested after 45 days. He had a friend who was supposed to invest in a farm and have my husband as manager. But that did not push through so my husband wanted a small greenhouse in our backyard. However, there's no more space, huh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've seen people use the window wells for basement windows as a greenhouse (obviously check local laws first about accessibility). There are also some very narrow ones that stand upright against the side of the house. If you grow vertically, you could grow quite a bit of lettuce in a small amount of horizontal space, you just need a location that would prevent it from freezing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've got to get busy on mine again this weekend. The weather is getting colder, some of my tomato plants have leaves turning yellow around the edges. I have the framework for the back wall in place, still need to dig about 9 more holes for the anchor pipes, then I can start hanging some plastic over the frame. I think the only issue I'll have is with watching the temperatures... the framework I'm building is fairly large, leaving a lot of surface area to lose heat. Chances are I'll add a second layer of plastic to the inside of the framework at some point, but for now I just need to focus on getting the basic structure together. The weather is crazy, swinging nearly 50F degrees between day and night... that probably hurts the plants more than the cold does.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello all, I am new here I recently built a 12x12 hoop house which has a double layer of plastic and a blower to inflate the side walls for winter insulation. I figured I'd share a few pictures and I will upload more recent pictures tomorrow. I am still in the process of setting up all of my hydroponics systems.

Attachments

• ATT_1442276769512_IMAG1521.jpg
    ATT_1442276769512_IMAG1521.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 324
  • ATT_1442276769580_IMAG1520.jpg
    ATT_1442276769580_IMAG1520.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 322
  • ATT_1442276769726_IMAG1472.jpg
    ATT_1442276769726_IMAG1472.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 342
  • ATT_1442276769850_IMAG1452.jpg
    ATT_1442276769850_IMAG1452.jpg