Digging dogs.

Reaction score
We had a garden in my home country and my mother had maintained it ever since and she was very organized with our different outdoor plants, flowering plants, orchids and our lawns are always well trimmed and she had a gardener who is helping her in maintaining the cleanliness of our garden. This is the reason why she do not like to have a dog as pet at home.

Reaction score
I have a fence that keeps my dog out of the garden. He is what my neighbor calls a "terrible terrier", meaning that he is obsessive about digging up moles or gophers or snakes. He will dig on a particular hole for weeks, long after the offending critter has left.

I do not believe anything will stop him from digging, though the fence keeps him on the lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two dogs, but they aren't bad to dig up my yard. I have heard that cats AND dogs hate the smell of citrus. It might help to spread any kind of citrus peels around the area in question. Also I have heard that if you go to your local zoo, buy big animal waste, and spread it around the perimeter, it'll repel all kinds of critters. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have no idea what make a dog dig and keep on digging and I don't think there's a best advice to stop it apart from fencing him away from the lawn. That also just seems a bit out of place as it's a sweet thing to see them running around and doing their playful stuff out there. I wouldn't go for pepper and thorns and all that though. Hey @Corzhens that idea looks like it could work with newspaper swat on the butt. Don't hurt em though, just a nice playful swat away could help them to stop digging those holes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I have no idea what make a dog dig and keep on digging and I don't think there's a best advice to stop it apart from fencing him away from the lawn. That also just seems a bit out of place as it's a sweet thing to see them running around and doing their playful stuff out there. I wouldn't go for pepper and thorns and all that though. Hey @Corzhens that idea looks like it could work with newspaper swat on the butt. Don't hurt em though, just a nice playful swat away could help them to stop digging those holes.

That newspaper swat was taught to us by our first vet. He said that it's not the impact that matters but the sound of paper when it hits the dog's butt. Dogs are usually playful and puppies would be biting on anything that would suit them What we do is scold them to show that what they are doing is wrong.

May I add that the garden should be clean of frogs, toads, and slugs. They may have poisonous elements that can harm the dogs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I definitely think that could work too. It's also a lot of work keeping your eye on your dogs when you let them loose. I imagine that other things will come up that will require your attention. So it will be hard to constantly monitor your pet when it comes to digging. In all practically maybe the best option is to restrict lawn time for the dog. You love your dog and you love your lawn. What to do? What to do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The best advice I would have is to try to walk your dog to eliminate excessive energy, so they are not as destructive. Exercise may or may not help the situation. If the dog is digging because it smells mice, gophers, etc. then it probably won't help. We have found that dogs do not like to dig in 3/4 inch rock, so you might want to add rock around the areas where he/she is digging.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Have you ever tried having a barbed wire around your garden? A barbed wire can keep your dog away from the garden. You can also plant a natural fence which has thorns. This is also a good way of keeping your dog away from digging in your garden.

Ask a Question