Digging dogs.

Reaction score
My dog decided to start a construction site in my garden. I have tried pet repellent, thorn branches (he just pulls them away and start digging again) and cyanne pepper to no avail.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can stop this madness?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just going to wait for my dog to pass away , she wont listen , she kicks the mulch around . and I rake or wash it back with the hose

Reaction score
Is your dog just digging for no reason or is it hunting up moles or mice? Mine will dig when she is on the hunt for a mole, mouse, or even chipmunk. She isn't too bad and the holes aren't huge but she has the most patience I have ever seen, she will stand for 15-20 minutes by hole and not move just waiting for whatever is in there to poke it's head up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't have any advice for you, but here's a good true story.

I have 2 Chihuahuas and a few years ago I adopted another rescue Chihuahua who was two years old. It was sort of a spur of the moment thing, and after the dog was brought over to me and we all got acquainted I had to get a new collar for him. The one he had on was way too tight, and choking him. So I removed his collar and went out to Walmart.

I don't drive, so I had to take the bus. I was gone for about two hours. When I came home, and was walking on the sidewalk to my house, about six houses away, I see a dog standing on the sidewalk in front of my house. It looks like Chi Chi, the dog I adopted. But, I thought it must be a stray, can't be my new dog.

The closer I got, the more I realized it WAS Chi Chi. OMG, how did he get out. I had locked the door good when I left the house... no way for him to get out.

I called his name and he came running towards me.

Turns out, he had a project going on, after I left the house. He dug an opening large enough for him to escape from the back yard. It was where the wood gate is between the cement wall. The ground cover there, as it is in my whole back yard, is pea gravel. This dog, who I had owned for about an hour before I left the house, dug his way out of his new home and waited for me to come home. I was amazed to say the least. He had not wandered away, just stayed in front of my house on the sidewalk waiting patiently for my arrival. I was horrified at what could have happened... hit by a car, lost, whatever!

My neighbor came over and nailed a platform of wood across the ground so that would never happen again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm proud of our dogs. We have 3 that stay inside the house. When they need to go for nature's call, we let them loose in the yard - mostly in the front yard but sometimes in the backyard. When they were puppies, they had the tendency to dig. What we did was to fold a newspaper and hit the dog's butt with it - hitting slightly hard will stun them. Just be sure the newspaper is not thick as to harm the dog. The objective is to startle them only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My dogs have the run of the back yard... coming and going in and out through a very expensive doggy door with two flaps, Berber carpeting, and magnets. They are inside dogs, but during the day like to lay out in the sun if it's warm outside. They never dig.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We have a chewing dog:confused:.
image.jpg

Reaction score
I have the same issues with not only one of my dogs, but three! They love to dig and ruin everything in the backyard. My best advice to you is you play with them outside several times a day. I would also suggest getting some peanut butter toys for them to destroy. It keeps them busy and they avoid digging when they're fighting for the peanutbutter inside of the toys. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
different breeds have certain tendencies built in to do certain behaviors. you may be fighting a loosing battle. best is to build and area that they can dig in and re direct them there. As one would build a sand box for kids.

I was fortunate to have two GSDs who were wonderful, no destructive tendencies, but they got all sorts of toys, and chew items, and were walked two miles each night, and 5 on weekends, and worked for obedience trials each evening, and weekends and out and about often to stores etc. When they laid to rest they were rewarded for simply not moving. (a task that is hard for a GSD) . Never let a good mind to waste was my motto. Both won obedience trophies, traveled to bed and breakfasts, new york hotels, sea sides, restaurants etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, DeborahJane, your dog must have strong teeth!:eek:

Yatte, I wish I knew the answer to your question. Unfortunately, my dog loves digging too and I haven't found a way to stop him from doing it:confused: He doesn't listen to anyone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
I have the same issues with not only one of my dogs, but three! They love to dig and ruin everything in the backyard. My best advice to you is you play with them outside several times a day. I would also suggest getting some peanut butter toys for them to destroy. It keeps them busy and they avoid digging when they're fighting for the peanutbutter inside of the toys. :)

I agree that distraction is probably the best solution. My dog will do anything for a bit of peanut butter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tried filling the hole with water? I have seen this done by a neighbor, and their dogs seem to stop digging after a few times. My dog doesn't dig even when he has the run of the yard. He is more into chewing blankets and pillows..So no dog is perfect :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't think this would work with my dog. If I filled the hole with water, he would dig up a new one in a new place, lol;) So I'm afraid the only solution is to fence off the area where you grow your favorite plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most dogs do that because they have too much energy. Make sure you exercise them enough or hire someone to do that for you if you are unable to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't have any advice for you, but here's a good true story.

I have 2 Chihuahuas and a few years ago I adopted another rescue Chihuahua who was two years old. It was sort of a spur of the moment thing, and after the dog was brought over to me and we all got acquainted I had to get a new collar for him. The one he had on was way too tight, and choking him. So I removed his collar and went out to Walmart.

I don't drive, so I had to take the bus. I was gone for about two hours. When I came home, and was walking on the sidewalk to my house, about six houses away, I see a dog standing on the sidewalk in front of my house. It looks like Chi Chi, the dog I adopted. But, I thought it must be a stray, can't be my new dog.

The closer I got, the more I realized it WAS Chi Chi. OMG, how did he get out. I had locked the door good when I left the house... no way for him to get out.

I called his name and he came running towards me.

Turns out, he had a project going on, after I left the house. He dug an opening large enough for him to escape from the back yard. It was where the wood gate is between the cement wall. The ground cover there, as it is in my whole back yard, is pea gravel. This dog, who I had owned for about an hour before I left the house, dug his way out of his new home and waited for me to come home. I was amazed to say the least. He had not wandered away, just stayed in front of my house on the sidewalk waiting patiently for my arrival. I was horrified at what could have happened... hit by a car, lost, whatever!

My neighbor came over and nailed a platform of wood across the ground so that would never happen again.

Chihuahuas are a very smart breed of dog even if they don't think their dog, If they can get their head through an opening they can get out, I had to lower the gate on my drive way so Fern could slide under it.

Ask a Question