Dog digging up my garden

Reaction score
I have a five-month old labrador x golden retriever mix and he loves gardening, too. He loves it so much that he digs up my plants and plays with the plants. He uproots them and drags them all over the lawn. The good thing is he doesn't do it all over the yard, just plants from one specific spot. He like digging there and sleeping in the hole he dug. We tried putting sticks to bar him from that area, but he stills a way. We tried teaching him to stay away from that area, but he always comes back after a week or so.

What should I do? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a five-month old labrador x golden retriever mix and he loves gardening, too. He loves it so much that he digs up my plants and plays with the plants. He uproots them and drags them all over the lawn. The good thing is he doesn't do it all over the yard, just plants from one specific spot. He like digging there and sleeping in the hole he dug. We tried putting sticks to bar him from that area, but he stills a way. We tried teaching him to stay away from that area, but he always comes back after a week or so.

Dogs, especially Lab pups, like to get into everything and love to dig. But one thing all dogs do is to smell first and dig later. Try sprinkling cayenne pepper around his favorite digging spot. One whiff will probably be enough to make him find another spot so outfox him and give him his own little garden by putting the pepper everywhere but his spot. Sooner or later, probably later, he will outgrow this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have exactly the same problem, my dog loves digging too. He's a tiny Yorkie, so he isn't able to dig a really big hole:p. I wish I could stop him from trying though. Unfortunately, he's very stubborn and he ignores me. I'm afraid there is no way to stop dogs from doing what they want to do:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have exactly the same problem, my dog loves digging too. He's a tiny Yorkie, so he isn't able to dig a really big hole:p. I wish I could stop him from trying though. Unfortunately, he's very stubborn and he ignores me. I'm afraid there is no way to stop dogs from doing what they want to do:(
Who has who trained?

Reaction score

Well I have cats who like to dig. This is what I do and it seems to help. When I first set out my little transplants in the garden, I put a tin can or a small plastic pot with both ends cut out over each plant. A puppy like yours just might enjoy playing and taking the cans though. Maybe those little fences might deter him a little. Gotta love puppies though haha. And labs are such sweet dogs. Good luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Who has who trained?
My dog is spoiled, I'm aware of it, but everyone here loves him and none of us can get angry at him. He's so adorable!:) I simply couldn't yell at him or forbid him from playing in our garden:) Digging holes gives him so much joy:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My dog is spoiled, I'm aware of it, but everyone here loves him and none of us can get angry at him. He's so adorable!:) I simply couldn't yell at him or forbid him from playing in our garden:) Digging holes gives him so much joy:p
I know how it is. I have 4 of the rascals

Reaction score

Besides, his digging is beneficial and aireates the soil haha.

Reaction score
Besides training the dog or keeping it tied up? There are a wide variety of repellents that are specifically designed just for dogs. Check your local pet store or a WalMart for them.

Reaction score
Hmmm. He has recently grown tired of his favorite spot, since the rainy season began. We also found that using upside down pots in his spot and planting plants around them has stopped him from digging. It also made the spot unique and pretty. Thank you for the suggestion, guys. I will surely try the pepper thing once he finds another spot to terrorize!

Ask a Question