Design Update

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Is this free program any use @Sheal ?

http://www.nelsonpires.com/software/dimmer/

Would help on other sites too, not just this one :)

Thanks Zigs but I'm able to reduce the screen brightness on my computer and have done, to 25% while here on the forum. It's not ideal as it's the white background I have a problem with.

Ian has very kindly taken up my issue and is working on the background for me. :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ian, I want to let you know I think it is really nice of you to take these steps to keep one member. You are going above and beyond, where most administrators would not bother. (y) "User-friendly" pales in comparison. Thank you!!

I'll bet we will be the only site on the web to have such an option(y) This is awesome...humankind at its best:)

Beverly
is right. Kind humans are the best! :love::love:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've made some tweaks to the design, so there's now a "dark" option on the preferences page:

https://www.gardening-forums.com/account/preferences

At the moment, it's not that much darker - it's just a toned down version of what we have at the moment. If that's not enough to improve the problem, I'll work on making a bigger change to some of the other colours, so I can darken the background even further. :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I selected the "dark" option, and i like it and i think i'll keep it. Feels more soothing, calmer, and easier on the eyes. Good work and thank you @Ian(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love it, although I joined a day ago. I saw the other templates. If you need a default avatar image designed Ian I can help with that. So it matches the site rather than being blank. Or any other site images let me know.

This is my deviantart page:
http://matrixiv.deviantart.com/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm sorry, the new set-up is hopeless for me. I have eye problems that cannot cope with the brightness. My computer already has the brightness reduced but that doesn't help with this new look. I have no choice but to leave the forums.

There is a way you can bypass this with firefox browser.
You can go to the top right side look for 3 lines going horizontal. Go to options.
A new tab will open called "Options", go to "Content" on the left side navigation.
In the middle to the right a little look for a button called "Colors..."
For you bright colors would be the white background. You can change it to Black or Grey by clicking on the color.(or another color you prefer)
Text can be changed to another color that is easier on your eyes.
Below you see "Override the colors specified by the page with your selections above:" (With a drop down box option.) Right now it should be set to "Never" click the down arrow then click "Only with High Contrast Themes". Then Click Ok and close the options tab and everything should be much much easier on your eyes. :D Let me know if this helps.

FYI = Note some images might not show if they are part of the template that Ian designed or setup. But this is the only other way to solve the brightness issue without Ian having to change the template.

I got an email just a while ago that the site had updates so it had this thread tagged as new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm testing out some colours for the site with Sheal at the moment, so by early in the week we'll hopefully have a new contrast version which should improve things :D. I'll make an option in the user profile somewhere, so it'll just take a couple of clicks and people can choose which style they'd like.

Thank you @Pulse. As you can see above (post #13) Ian has already been kind enough to address my problems and set up the option of the grey background for me - and other members should they wish to use it. :)

Ask a Question