Delicious heliotropes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
All the following nurseries have websites can only but try.
Cottage nurseries at Thoresthorpe
Homestead plants Normanton
Creake plant centre South Creake
The Abbey Nurseries Ford Abbey
Cross Common Nurseries Cornwall

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
All the following nurseries have websites can only but try.
Cottage nurseries at Thoresthorpe
Homestead plants Normanton
Creake plant centre South Creake
The Abbey Nurseries Ford Abbey
Cross Common Nurseries Cornwall

Nice info, never heard of any of these. Time to see if Wyevale have reduced their seeds. May be able to find some there. Ebay has nothing but marine ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
cross common nurseries at the Lizard in Cornwall is a gem of a nursery just a half an hour's drive from me. If anyone is on holiday in Cornwall and at all interested in plants this is a must visit nursery :) Rare, unusual and tender perennials in every corner :)
Homestead Plants was where I had my White Lady, etc. I rang the owners this morning because they did tell me they might be closing down. Sure enough they are no longer trading because of ill health.
Not sure the other mentioned nurseries supply the perennial heliotropes either at least by mail order.
Seems there is not much demand for heliotropes or at least few know about them....such a shame

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your pictures are beautiful, Verdun, I'd "like" them twice, if I could. (y)

I've gone to an image search for more pictures. :D

I really like the blue ones, but when I saw this bright pink one, it took my breath away. (Love, love, love bright pink and bright blue flowers!!) On rereading the thread, I see no mention of bright pink. :unsure: Googling "bright pink heliotrope flowers" provides nothing but suggestions for plants to accompany heliotrope. :(

Have these been photo-shopped, do you think? :cautious: I'm providing the link, because I have noticed that borrowed images disappear sometimes.

upload_2017-9-7_11-37-57.jpeg
upload_2017-9-7_11-38-54.jpeg

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...otrope-flowers-dr-management.jpg&action=close

I'm still going to order seeds for blue ones, you've sold me with the smell. ;) :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, photo-shopped MaryMary :)
Blue heliotrope go well with most anything I think.....geum Totally Tangerine, red,,orange or yellow echinaceas, white anemones, grasses, etc. etc. They quietly assort with neighbours all the while giving out their scent:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Verdun is marine any good please? I can order the seeds very cheaply. Is it worth a go? Can't find any other cultivar on fleabay ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have a confession to make and an apology at the same time.I recently posted that one of my clients purchased Heliotrope plants from a Wye Vale garden centre near Taunton, Somerset, in fact this was not the case and the lady informed me today that the plants came from Minehead garden centre in West Somerset, apologies if anyone has been scouring Wyevales unfortunately you won't find any there. However Heliotrope is not extinct, it's an old fashioned plant which went out of fashion, nonetheless it is a beautiful plant with it's flowers and scent so deserves a place in our gardens.For anyone wishing to buy plants try googling Heliotrope plants for sale uk I think you may be lucky. I might add that seeds are readily available for those who prefer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Verdun is marine any good please? I can order the seeds very cheaply. Is it worth a go? Can't find any other cultivar on fleabay ..
Try looking at Thompson and Morgan website or Suttons think they might have different varieties

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Will do that. Thompson and Morgan don't do cash back any more. Sad! Always a little bit of kickback in the past. Everything gets scaled back.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Marine is freely available most everywhere alp. As I keep saying, choice of varieties is not easy to find. Maybe I should propagate my own and sell them :)
Yes it is scented....similar cherry pie.....and you will not be disappointed with it.
The arborescens types though are better for scent, for size and for impact.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
If you were to propagate some for sale I think you would have plenty of takers on this site alone Verdun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha ha....money, money, money Robert (y)
As a part timer I propagated and sold heliotropes a few years back. Cheap too. A stall in a carboot with heliotropes should sell on scent alone. Now, how much is that Jag these days??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm let's not get too big just yet think you'll need a bit more than a car boot if you think of buying a jag!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, send me the price in a conversation and whatever you think I like, @Verdun . I will pay for them. OK, I might try to get the seeds as well.

Ask a Question