Delicious heliotropes

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would love a plant like this. Can you raise them from seeds, @Verdun ? Which one is a good cultivar?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
There would seem to be a number of good varieties available now Heliotropium Arborescens is as good as any..yes you can grow from seed which is readily available from good seedsmen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Get a plant alp and then take cuttings every year.
Note though, Arborescen is the usual term to differentiate from the annual ...usually Marine..type...which is indeed raised from seed. Not quite as good alp but still worthwhile.
Look for VARIETIES of arborescens. Chatsworth is the most popular but, as I have already said, White Lady and White Queen are excellent whites too. However, suppliers seem few and far between ...I checked recently and the small supplier I used seems now not to be around. Luckily I have my varieties as stock plants.
Today the scent is very strong.....misty morning followed by humid warm sunshine is pushing the cherry pie scent very nicely now.:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3130.JPG
These are in pots by side door
White Lady, Chatsworth and another blue variety Ikeep forgetting
It is the SCENT but pleasant flowers visually too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Now we're all envious Verdun, I think one of my customers got some from a Wye Vale garden centre, over 100 of them in UK so bound to be one not too far away. I will investigate and see if there are plug plants available from any of the suppliers we use and post findings on here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone wishing to purchase these plants can do so by visiting RHS plant finder website and type in Heliotropium, I found 5 nurseries in the UK who grow them, 3 of which will sell mail order.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah! Found it. The elusive heliotrope has been found. Gatton Park. Powerful scent, poss stronger than Chatsworth :)
Which nurseries Robert?
Wyevale could never supply them for me though....despite being friendly with the manager Wyevale only supplied the annual Marine.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very difficult to get an off-beat plant like that. It's not as if they were pansies!:eek::eek: Proper garden centre like Wyevale might not even stock them. Will look around.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They wont alp.
I will continue to look for online suppliers and post results on forum :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
To find online supplier to buy one item is just not economical. I don't remember seeing them in the RHS Hyde Hall. In fact, I have never seen it before.. except now on picture. Just tell you how ignorant I am...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Look on Royal horticultural society plant finder website type in Heliotropium and about five nurseries come up. I think a client of mine bought hers at Wye vales in Taunton Somerset.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought my own varieties online alp. 5 or 6 in 9cm pots. Online suppliers are geared up to supply small orders these days.
(With reference to RHS website and Plantfinder listings I found this often outdated and therefore not too useful; the supplier I recently used was not listed)
First got Chatsworth some 20 years ago when I called on a keen gardener who introduced me to his wonderfully fragrant cherrie pie plant. He gave me a few cuttings and away I went, chuffed to bits :)

Ask a Question